Finding shorts with this?
07-13-2017, (Subject: Finding shorts with this? ) 
RE: Finding shorts with this?
(07-13-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  
(07-13-2017 )Kid Rock Wrote:  Is there a good way to rule out the ecm? Maybe by testing for voltage at the particular pin that sends the signal for the circuit I'm testing?

most of the time when it is the fuel shutoff issue, it is the solenoid going bad. A short in the coil can also burn out the circuit in the ECM sometimes too.

Well thanks to your tip the other day i was able to make delivery and am now deadheading back home... if it was just the fuel solenoid i would probably keep running it but the code 0245 fan control circuit has turned the fan off. Replaced the fan solenoid, but no change. Had a spare fuel solenoid too, threw that on, no change either

Didnt know if there was a way to test the ecm pins before i start tearing down the wire harness... i did notice some light green film on a couple of ecm pins, tried a few different ways to gently cleam it off but didnt work.

Both of these circuits starting throwing codes (0245 & 0254 ) at the same time: and the jake brakes stop working too, lovely multiplex issue i guess
replyreply
I don't know if you can pull up a wiring schemtatic for your Pete, as I was having similar issues on my ProStar. I found the issue by running it by the dealer and catching them at lunch. One of the guys ran the laptop out and ran a quick diagnostic for me. It was the compass module. I then went home and pulled up the schematics and about fell over... Yes, LOVELY multiplex system, my ABS and Jake are ran through the compass module! The dealer wanted around $350 and the only one available was located in Outer Mongolia. I found one on eBay for $20 and never looked back, problem fixed.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Kid Rock
(07-13-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  I don't know if you can pull up a wiring schemtatic for your Pete, as I was having similar issues on my ProStar. I found the issue by running it by the dealer and catching them at lunch. One of the guys ran the laptop out and ran a quick diagnostic for me. It was the compass module. I then went home and pulled up the schematics and about fell over... Yes, LOVELY multiplex system, my ABS and Jake are ran through the compass module! The dealer wanted around $350 and the only one available was located in Outer Mongolia. I found one on eBay for $20 and never looked back, problem fixed.

Wow how about that Waterloo, thanks
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
Just curious, What type of diagnostic did you have them run?
replyreply
(07-13-2017 )Kid Rock Wrote:  Just curious, What type of diagnostic did you have them run?

I had them run the International Cab Controller program, Diamond Logic. I don't know what Pete uses, but it will read the codes off of the cab controller and should direct you exactly to, or real close to the problem. In my case, it read "Faulty Compass Control Module". I didn't even know that I had a compass on this thing, as it never worked from the day I bought the truck used. Which at that point had been a couple of years. I had the mechanic show me where the module was, he didn't know either, but we eventually found it in the dash above the main fuse block. Two screws and a plug, and problem fixed with new eBay Compass Module.

Oh, and it did not tell us that was the issue, but like I said, I went home and brought up the schematics and figured it out real quick that the compass module was the problem. So, it is not as cut and dry, you still may have to look at some wiring diagrams to nail it down.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Kid Rock

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.