Steer axle
07-13-2017, (Subject: Steer axle ) 
RE: Steer axle
[/quote]

I know a guy, who had very same problem you describe, and yes we pulled tanker's also. Turned out his steer axle was bent. Had it straightened, and corrected the problem.
[/quote]

How would a person check to see if the axle was bent?
replyreply
That is a regional tire. They all cup that way in line haul application. You need line haul steer tires with a decoupling groove.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Tcarpenter
(07-13-2017 )Nilao Wrote:  That is a regional tire. They all cup that way in line haul application. You need line haul steer tires with a decoupling groove.

Same regional style tires that came on my ProStar, looked the same too when I removed them. Put the Michelins on and never looked back. Those went on in Jan of 2015, they still look virtually new, with very even tread wear. I simply had them high speed balanced and three axle alignment, wearing like iron.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Tcarpenter
(07-13-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  
(07-13-2017 )Nilao Wrote:  That is a regional tire. They all cup that way in line haul application. You need line haul steer tires with a decoupling groove.

Same regional style tires that came on my ProStar, looked the same too when I removed them. Put the Michelins on and never looked back. Those went on in Jan of 2015, they still look virtually new, with very even tread wear. I simply had them high speed balanced and three axle alignment, wearing like iron.
Which Michelin do you run?
On another note I run lp 22.5 I've been told that you have to stay same size all the way around so it doesn't mess with the abs. I'm pretty sure Michelin lp is a different # on size then the rest but I don't believe it's mess with the abs. Thoughts on this?
replyreply
They are the X**3+ from 2014, they are now the XZA3+. Mine are 16 ply 22.5 LP, run them at 120 psi. I picked them up at the TA in New Braunfels Texas. $1550 installed with high speed balance. The two regional tires I removed were sold to the Landstar driver in the bay next to me for $200, he needed some drive tires so I gladly sold him mine. So $1350 out the door. That was in January of 2015, and like I stated, they have been wearing like iron. I just had them up to the local tire shop, Meekhoff Tire up here in Michigan and asked about rotating them. He came out and checked them and said not yet, come back in the fall. ;-)

As far as the ABS, I would not worry. Here is a link, you can see all available sizes here. http://www.michelintruck.com/tires-and-r...e-energy-z

And I am sure you are running what most all ProStars leave the factory with size wise. I have metrics on the back, has not affected anything.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Tcarpenter
Most manufactures tire sizes are near identical. Within 10 RPM (revolutions per mile)
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Tcarpenter , Waterloo
(07-13-2017 )Nilao Wrote:  Most manufactures tire sizes are near identical. Within 10 RPM (revolutions per mile)
I kinda assumed it was something along those lines. But you know they saying about assuming
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(07-13-2017 )Nilao Wrote:  Most manufactures tire sizes are near identical. Within 10 RPM (revolutions per mile)

I'm running Continental Generals on the drives, 295 metric or something, truck is not here, equivalent to a standard LP tire. They are wearing fine too. Run the Cross-Fire units on those and check daily... Run at 120 psi, and those are roughly two years old too.
replyreply
(07-13-2017 )Tcarpenter Wrote:  
I kinda assumed it was something along those lines. But you know they saying about assuming

I asked the same questions too... These new trucks are not like the ones I am used to, to much BS in ownership. The days of reliability, simple maintenance and servicing are long gone. I miss those days.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.