Why I add 12% (one gallon) of gear lube at every oil change...
12-25-2019, (Subject: Why I add 12% (one gallon) of gear lube at every oil change... ) 
RE: Why I add 12% (one gallon) of gear lube at every oil change...
Is Gear oil recommended for a CM2350? Im purchasing a used truck and looking to read up on everything i can but im curious if the previous owner used synthetic oil instead of conventional then i cannot use gear oil as i will have to continue using synthetic oil. Am i on the right track is this correct? please correct me if im wrong. Im going to have to do an oil analysis as i have no way of knowing if its synthetic or conventional in there and if its already synthetic then i wont be able to switch to conventional and add gear oil in anyway. Im new to this kind of thing so sorry if its a dumb questions i just couldnt find the answer anywhere so looking for your guys professional opinion on this type of situation for a used truck purchase that may already have synthetic oil what should a buyer do?
replyreply
12-25-2019, (Subject: Why I add 12% (one gallon) of gear lube at every oil change... ) 
(12-25-2019 )dumptruckisx Wrote:  Is Gear oil recommended for a CM2350? Im purchasing a used truck and looking to read up on everything i can but im curious if the previous owner used synthetic oil instead of conventional then i cannot use gear oil as i will have to continue using synthetic oil. Am i on the right track is this correct? please correct me if im wrong. Im going to have to do an oil analysis as i have no way of knowing if its synthetic or conventional in there and if its already synthetic then i wont be able to switch to conventional and add gear oil in anyway. Im new to this kind of thing so sorry if its a dumb questions i just couldnt find the answer anywhere so looking for your guys professional opinion on this type of situation for a used truck purchase that may already have synthetic oil what should a buyer do?

Pick a top brand of oil (rotella-t, delo, or delvac... rotella has the most zinc for low pressure engine like isx though) and don;t switch again... it is horse-s#$it off social media that says you can;t mix syn with regular oil.. I get more and more people on my forum each year with this mis-belief.

-- It is however NOT recommended to keep switching brands all the time... pick one and stick to it... and if it is not the same kind/brand as what was used so far, oil consumption will go up a bit for a few oil changes (ring/liners will change coating a bit because of different additive compounds), then settle again,.. that is normal.

if your going to use gear lube 10% (one gallon), thats fine too, unless there is a lot of oil getting into your emissions system, and engine is worn out badly ... Just be consistent about what you do.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: dumptruckisx , DieselDave
12-27-2019, (Subject: Why I add 12% (one gallon) of gear lube at every oil change... ) 
Thanks for your reply Rawze. When you mention Rotella as being one of the better ones there is T4 T6 T1 etc. I plan on doing 3 changes of oil at 5,000miles to clear everything out as well as adding the oil bypass kit after those are done, which oil do you recommend out of the rotella lineup i need to get this down to a T(get the joke? haha) because its my first truck and i plan on doing some wrenching on it myself so i can pick whatever oil i like not limited to what the shops use. Like you said once your recommend an oil for me im going to stick with that oil and add 10% of sta lube gear oil(i already found that on your amazon store). My motor is the CM2350 made in Dec/13 CPL 3939.
replyreply
12-27-2019, (Subject: Why I add 12% (one gallon) of gear lube at every oil change... ) 
I’m also running the 2350.... have been for about the last 75k miles. Engine has about 330k on it currently. Plain Jane Rotella T4 15w40 with about 3/4 gal of SuperTech (Walmart brand) gear lube. No need for the added expense of synthetic with shorter intervals.

When I first purchased, I also changed the oil in shorter increments. I went around 5k, 7k, 9k, etc... Worked my way up to changing based off condition and fuel mileage. I’m very easy on the truck and even though the cold season is here and I’ve lost some mileage, the truck will still average 8.3-8.5mpg with the occasional 8.7mpg. Over the warmer months, it was averaging 9-9.2.

I’m currently changing the oil at roughly 15k miles with approx 300ish hrs on it. The oil, although darker, is far from black. Stays very clean throughout the first 7-8k before it begins to slowly change color. BTW I’m at about 1/2-3/4 gallon burn rate between changes after the rings settled in on the new brand of oil. Basically if I fill the oil to the ‘full’ mark on the stick, I wouldn’t have to add during that 15k as it will be within the top half of the ‘cross hatching ‘ on the stick still at the end of the interval.

Those 2350s can be profitable with due diligence so be sure to stay on top of it ! Good luck to ya!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , dumptruckisx
(12-27-2019 )dumptruckisx Wrote:  Thanks for your reply Rawze. When you mention Rotella as being one of the better ones there is T4 T6 T1 etc. I plan on doing 3 changes of oil at 5,000miles to clear everything out as well as adding the oil bypass kit after those are done, which oil do you recommend out of the rotella lineup i need to get this down to a T(get the joke? haha) because its my first truck and i plan on doing some wrenching on it myself so i can pick whatever oil i like not limited to what the shops use. Like you said once your recommend an oil for me im going to stick with that oil and add 10% of sta lube gear oil(i already found that on your amazon store). My motor is the CM2350 made in Dec/13 CPL 3939.

T4 is what most guys use and is easy to find.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , dumptruckisx
07-07-2022, (Subject: Why I add 12% (one gallon) of gear lube at every oil change... ) 
With these changing times I'm finding a need to change my engine additive gear oil. I've been consistently using the wally world SuperTech 80w90 and it's been good. But over the past months with all the shortages it's been hard to come by. My local store almost never has it and the closest one that does is a bit of a drive and not one that I prefer to visit (the kind that has a permanent police presence at the front doors). I used to order it online but they will no longer ship it.

I thought there was a thread somewhere that compared different gear lubes, but can't seem to find it right now. I do have a tractor supply nearby with their "Traveler" brand. They usually have some in stock but I wasn't sure if that's good for this application.

Also, short of having samples tested, is there any way to know if one of these brands (especially the store brands) changes their formulation?

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
07-07-2022, (Subject: Why I add 12% (one gallon) of gear lube at every oil change... ) 
I've been thinking about using traveller brand from TSC as well.

replyreply
07-08-2022, (Subject: Why I add 12% (one gallon) of gear lube at every oil change... ) 
If it is a GL-5 then it needs to meet the newest GL-5 standards (corrosion prevention of softer metals) to be compitable with what your want to use it for. Some brands of gear lube do not meet this standard.. so ya gotta be aware of it is all. I know the wal-mart brand met those standards, even tho it was a really cheap oil.

Also, ALL GL-4 oils meet this standard from what I am aware of if that helps ya.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98 , Toolguy
07-08-2022, (Subject: Why I add 12% (one gallon) of gear lube at every oil change... ) 
From what I can tell on there website, some of there 80/90 is GL-5 and some is GL-1. We'll just have to look close at the labels. The GL-5 is more expensive too.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.