871 oil mixing with fuel
07-19-2017, (Subject: 871 oil mixing with fuel ) 
RE: 871 oil mixing with fuel
Yes this is the oilfields in North Dakota

Could the truck smoke from burning algea?? I think it still has an issue with burning some oil but with a truck that has over 18k hours on it which truck wouldn't burn some oil right?

I will keep you guys updated when the fuel sample comes back
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
08-03-2017, (Subject: 871 oil mixing with fuel ) 
OK my buddy received his fuel analysis back from the refinery yesterday.

I don't totally understand it, I do have a copy and can post a picture if need be.

They basically didn't find anything wrong with the fuel. No algea in the fuel, and no oil. Apparently it had a high content of bio fuel, and they said it was dirty and had some dirt mixed in with the fuel.

Going forward, this fuel sample doesn't exactly help with troubleshooting his smoke issues

I know for a fact that this didn't happen one time with fueling at a truck stop with bad fuel. This truck has had this issue for awhile and other trucks within his company all fuel up at the same location and their fuel does not look like his fuel.
replyreply
Could be a bad valve guide seal or something too.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
I have seen this before. Being 09 and having done the fuel sample it seems I see a conection between your truck and one I repaired a while back. On the one I did it was the injectors being bad. What had happen was the injector preload had lessened overtime with wear and allowed compression gasses to enter the fuel sytem through the injector when running. The preload was very low. They were so carboned up it caused a hard start and it had smoke as well. The fuel tanks were black as well as everything else in the system. All the injectors leaked on the injector leak test. Installed new injectors and problem was solved. Even ran smooth when before there was a slight miss and a minor hunt.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock , Shandro , Rawze , Waterloo , hhow55 , Wiseman
(08-03-2017 )Starlight Wrote:  I have seen this before. Being 09 and having done the fuel sample it seems I see a conection between your truck and one I repaired a while back. On the one I did it was the injectors being bad. What had happen was the injector preload had lessened overtime with wear and allowed compression gasses to enter the fuel sytem through the injector when running. The preload was very low. They were so carboned up it caused a hard start and it had smoke as well. The fuel tanks were black as well as everything else in the system. All the injectors leaked on the injector leak test. Installed new injectors and problem was solved. Even ran smooth when before there was a slight miss and a minor hunt.

Its funny you mentioned that. Had a guy here not too long ago where someone set his overhead and they adjusted all the injectors to 0 in-lb. I wondered how badly it would have failed an injector leak test with it adjusted like that, but then again, there is supposed to be a check valve in the injector to prevent it.

Perhaps always a good idea to adjust the overhead before an injector leak test? -- Just some thoughts on it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , Starlight , Wiseman
OK, do you think we are wasting our time by draining out the fuel tank, and cleaning it?

I guess we should pull the valve cover off and do a close visual inspection of the overhead and if all looks good remove all the injectors and visually inspect each injector and injector cup/seats
replyreply
This is the fuel report, it really doesn't tell us much, do you guys see anything not normal?

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
I am thinking he should take it to someone who can diagnose it properly at this point if it is still a problem. Hauling it off to the stealershit is going to get you no where real fast, they don't diagnose any more, they connect a computer and replace expensive parts.

A trip to Gearhead or Mr. Hag might be his best bet.

If the EGR and DPF is still in tact and functioning, and the engine programmed with its ORIGINAL FACTORY PROGRAM, then it should not be smoking at all.

Make sure some dumbarsse didn't put in a different program to "up the hp" in it while your diagnosing it. I have seen people jump CPL and make them do all sorts of things they should not do including over-fueling/smoking.

replyreply
(08-03-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  
(08-03-2017 )Starlight Wrote:  I have seen this before. Being 09 and having done the fuel sample it seems I see a conection between your truck and one I repaired a while back. On the one I did it was the injectors being bad. What had happen was the injector preload had lessened overtime with wear and allowed compression gasses to enter the fuel sytem through the injector when running. The preload was very low. They were so carboned up it caused a hard start and it had smoke as well. The fuel tanks were black as well as everything else in the system. All the injectors leaked on the injector leak test. Installed new injectors and problem was solved. Even ran smooth when before there was a slight miss and a minor hunt.

Its funny you mentioned that. Had a guy here not too long ago where someone set his overhead and they adjusted all the injectors to 0 in-lb. I wondered how badly it would have failed an injector leak test with it adjusted like that, but then again, there is supposed to be a check valve in the injector to prevent it.

Perhaps always a good idea to adjust the overhead before an injector leak test? -- Just some thoughts on it.

If caught early enough then a set up before a leak test might and should work. In my case it made no difference as the pintle was damaged already. The check valve becomes defective with prolonged hot combustion gases being pushed thru it.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Wiseman

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.