CM2250 Will Not Regen
07-20-2017, (Subject: CM2250 Will Not Regen ) 
RE: CM2250 Will Not Regen
(07-20-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  
(07-19-2017 )Jolt Wrote:  Hello All,

I have a 2012 Freightiner Cascadia with an ISX15 CM2250 Engine. Recently I have gotten my dpf filter and doc filter cleaned. I took it off myself without a computer thinking I would save money but eventually broke down less than 15 miles from my home location. My mechanic told me I was supposed to use a computer so I ended up having to replace my egr and going to freightliner for an ecm update. After the update I was getting codes 1922 1981. So I took it back to my mechanic and he did something to get rid of the 1922 code but now I still have the 1981 code. The code says that dpf is clogged or it could be a harness issue. My truck will start a regen but kicks it out within less than 10 minutes. Do I really need to get dpf cleaned again after only going less that 20 miles? Also, I've replaced the differential pressure sensor on the dpf, the scr junction box and a temperature sensor on the scr. Thank you in advance for any help that you can give me.

Any number of things could have happened. Make sure first of all that you do not have any gasket leaks. Any leaks in the exhaust system will cause issues. Make sure the pipes going to the DPF differential pressure sensor are not clogged and if the sensor is old, you should have replace it when the cans were cleaned.

Also, without cummins insite, you are driving blind there. I would suggest you remedy that if you want to keep the regen system operating. Otherwise you will always be at the mercy of the over-priced stealershits.

Whenever you remove those cans and have them cleaned, you need to tell the ecm you did so via cummins insite. The ECM counts up the amount of soot it "thinks" it has made over time and does not count down. Only performing a "DPF Replacement" and "Maintenence Reset" will reset this counter, and you should only do that when you get the DPF cleaned. it sounds like you may have missed that step perhaps.

Your regen hsitory can be seen in Insite. At 14:38 in this video I show a regen history...

Others have also mentioned that cm2250 volcano. Here is a link...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...07#pid1807

Don't rule out your NOx sensors for causing issues. They start going bad after about 200k miles typically and start to read incorrectly. They do not always throw fault codes but do make the engine have excess egr gas and excess black smoke, sometimes clogging the dpf repeatedly sometimes. They will also give high nox errors sometimes too.

Maybe this is some places to get started.

Before calling it good, YES you should do a forced regen to make sure everything is operating ok.

I've replaced the nox sensor near the aftertreatment injector about 40,000 miles ago. What happens if the plastic piece of the imap sensor is broken off into the intake manifold? Also, I smell def fluid like it's not burning properly.
replyreply
(07-20-2017 )Jolt Wrote:  I've replaced the nox sensor near the aftertreatment injector about 40,000 miles ago. What happens if the plastic piece of the imap sensor is broken off into the intake manifold? Also, I smell def fluid like it's not burning properly.

You need to get that plastic piece out of the intake, do you want that going thru the valves?
Remove the intake piping, the clamp towards the air-to-air(front of truck) and the clamp on the intake piping hose that's attached to the intake manifold. You will need a 7/16 socket/rachet, and a flat head screwdriver, use the screwdriver to pry the clamp off of the hose, they normally get stuck onto the intake hose, be careful not to damage the hose. Remove the piping then get yourself a shop vac and duck tape a 1/2-3/4" coolant hose onto the vacuum and stick the hose into the intake plenum and remove the broken peice of sensor

Or you could just remove the intake manifold and clean it out:)

Are you sure it's def fluid that you smell???

Look on the ground under the truck do you see anything dripping? Follow the def fluid lines from the def injector on the scr, and follow those lines back to your def tank, do you see anything wet or leaking?

Back to what you said about you couldn't get the exhaust pipe off on the passenger side... You do not need to remove that to remove your aftertreatment injector, you will need to drain the coolant though
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Jolt
Ok thanks for all of that info I really need it. I'm not quite sure if it's def but it has a really funny smell to it and def seems to be the closest thing to it. Also, do I need insite to the aftertreatment fuel Injector?
replyreply
07-21-2017, (Subject: CM2250 Will Not Regen ) 
(07-20-2017 )Jolt Wrote:  Ok thanks for all of that info I really need it. I'm not quite sure if it's def but it has a really funny smell to it and def seems to be the closest thing to it. Also, do I need insite to the aftertreatment fuel Injector?

You don't need insite after replacing the aftertreatment injector. Just drain the coolant because there is coolant flowing through that injector.

On a side note, I wonder if that "funny smell" you are experiencing is burning coolant. Are you loosing coolant at all? Coolant destroys the components inside the exhaust system.

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Waterloo , Jolt
I'm going to do this, and I hate to... Have you inspected your fuel pump for the correct tappets and plungers? There was a recall on these units, Cummins has since ended that campaign. Bastards.

You have a high pressure fuel pump on your motor, it originally came with ceramic plungers which liked to disintegrate and work their way through your motor, leaving it a boat anchor. If it were me, I would want to know what is inside that pump, which would require removing it and cracking it open. There are more than a few threads here on the subject. Not all motors had this recall performed. There are also reports of dealers stating it was, when it was not.

I was just in an International dealer the other day, and they had a crated up 2250 sitting in the shop. I looked at the motor and then looked at the mechanic and asked, pointing to the motor, "Fuel Pump"? He said, "How did you know"? I laughed. That motor was toast, a boat anchor. He stated they have replaced more than a few of these motors on warranty. It is still an ongoing problem, and now Cummins is no longer covering this blatant defect. The mechanic also stated there is at least one lawsuit in the works to go after Cummins regarding this "issue".

Check your fuel pump. The thinking here is that they are good for roughly 400,000 miles and then need to be replaced. That is a healthy fuel pump, one with the steel plungers, and they are not cheap. But, there are rebuild kits.

I don't know where you are, but if you are anywhere near Atalanta GA, or can get a load out that way, I would run your truck to Mr Hag. If you are up near Baltimore or that area, I would take that truck to Gearhead. Both of these men have diesel repair shops and know what to do with these motors and what to inspect. The days of reliability and simple servicing are over, especially if you want to keep the government mandate on your truck. Right now, you are driving a ticking time bomb. Seriously.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Jolt , hhow55 , JMBT
Also put a by pass oil filter asap
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Rawze , Jolt
(07-21-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  I'm going to do this, and I hate to... Have you inspected your fuel pump for the correct tappets and plungers? There was a recall on these units, Cummins has since ended that campaign. Bastards.

You have a high pressure fuel pump on your motor, it originally came with ceramic plungers which liked to disintegrate and work their way through your motor, leaving it a boat anchor. If it were me, I would want to know what is inside that pump, which would require removing it and cracking it open. There are more than a few threads here on the subject. Not all motors had this recall performed. There are also reports of dealers stating it was, when it was not.

I was just in an International dealer the other day, and they had a crated up 2250 sitting in the shop. I looked at the motor and then looked at the mechanic and asked, pointing to the motor, "Fuel Pump"? He said, "How did you know"? I laughed. That motor was toast, a boat anchor. He stated they have replaced more than a few of these motors on warranty. It is still an ongoing problem, and now Cummins is no longer covering this blatant defect. The mechanic also stated there is at least one lawsuit in the works to go after Cummins regarding this "issue".

Check your fuel pump. The thinking here is that they are good for roughly 400,000 miles and then need to be replaced. That is a healthy fuel pump, one with the steel plungers, and they are not cheap. But, there are rebuild kits.

I don't know where you are, but if you are anywhere near Atalanta GA, or can get a load out that way, I would run your truck to Mr Hag. If you are up near Baltimore or that area, I would take that truck to Gearhead. Both of these men have diesel repair shops and know what to do with these motors and what to inspect. The days of reliability and simple servicing are over, especially if you want to keep the government mandate on your truck. Right now, you are driving a ticking time bomb. Seriously.

Thanks for that information and I actually have already had a new fuel pump head put in 3 months ago. Thank you still though.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
07-22-2017, (Subject: CM2250 Will Not Regen ) 
Music RE: CM2250 Will Not Regen
I have removed the doser fuel injector and I have replace the egr differential pressure sensor. Is it ok to clean the hole for the imap sensor with a bore brush?

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
08-05-2017, (Subject: CM2250 Will Not Regen ) 
(07-20-2017 )Cuya Wrote:  a trip to mr. hag, @m*m^2 it and problem solved.

@m*m^2 for CM2250?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.