Steer axle
07-13-2017, (Subject: Steer axle ) 
RE: Steer axle
(07-13-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  
(07-13-2017 )Tcarpenter Wrote:  
(07-13-2017 )Nilao Wrote:  Most manufactures tire sizes are near identical. Within 10 RPM (revolutions per mile)
I kinda assumed it was something along those lines. But you know they saying about assuming

I asked the same questions too... These new trucks are not like the ones I am used to, to much BS in ownership. The days of reliability, simple maintenance and servicing are long gone. I miss those days.
Ya the older trucks I owned was not such a pita with dealing with little issues. I'm the original owner of this truck and have been fighting steer tire problems since day one. Go to a tire place tell them what I do etc. Go with what they recommend. I'll either run these out till I can't and deal with the vibration or after I go down to Atlanta to have some issues taken care of then replace them. Thank you all for your suggestions and guidance
replyreply
(07-13-2017 )Tcarpenter Wrote:  Thanks for the inputs. I believe it may just end up being the nature of the beast by what everyone is saying. I don't have room to run a lift axle so that one is out. I run 120 psi in my steers and I do have alignments done quite often. I also pull the same tanker 95% of the time. Here are pictures how my tires wear, both sides wear the same.

On the steers, it is normal to get inside edge wear on the drivers side and outside edge wear on the passenger side. This is because you make right turns hard, scrubbing the tires and left turns gently most of the time. the problem is worse for those who do a lot of city driving or make a lot of hard turns vs someone who runs mostly highway miles.

inside edge wear on both sides could be bearings out of adjustment or king pin bushings as well. Make sure they are in spec according to the book and a dial indicator. a lot of mechanics just jack them up and wiggle them without using a dial indicator. This is wrong. Know your values and know what is acceptable and what is not.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(07-13-2017 )Nilao Wrote:  Most manufactures tire sizes are near identical. Within 10 RPM (revolutions per mile)
I kinda assumed it was something along those lines. But you know they saying about assuming

I asked the same questions too... These new trucks are not like the ones I am used to, to much BS in ownership. The days of reliability, simple maintenance and servicing are long gone. I miss those days.
Ya the older trucks I owned was not such a pita with dealing with little issues. I'm the original owner of this truck and have been fighting steer tire problems since day one. Go to a tire place tell them what I do etc. Go with what they recommend. I'll either run these out till I can't and deal with the vibration or after I go down to Atlanta to have some issues taken care of then replace them. Thank you all for your suggestions and guidance

That vibration, is it in the front end or feels like it is in the drive line? I had a vibration with those regional tires, but only at certain speeds. Once I rid myself of those tires, no more vibration and I thought I was driving a new truck. I believe whoever is selling you those tires is taking you for a ride, I bet he has sold you a few sets... You could not give me another set of those rolling abortions.
replyreply

That vibration, is it in the front end or feels like it is in the drive line? I had a vibration with those regional tires, but only at certain speeds. Once I rid myself of those tires, no more vibration and I thought I was driving a new truck. I believe whoever is selling you those tires is taking you for a ride, I bet he has sold you a few sets... You could not give me another set of those rolling abortions.
The vibration is mainly in the front end. Don't notice it till the tires have roughly 50000 miles. Which is when they start showing the great wear pattern. I've bought tires from separate places because of were I was when I needed them. In the Indy area there isn't a real good mom and pop tire place . There's only one and they sell Yokohama tires and I got even less miles out of those.
replyreply
(07-13-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  
(07-13-2017 )Tcarpenter Wrote:  Thanks for the inputs. I believe it may just end up being the nature of the beast by what everyone is saying. I don't have room to run a lift axle so that one is out. I run 120 psi in my steers and I do have alignments done quite often. I also pull the same tanker 95% of the time. Here are pictures how my tires wear, both sides wear the same.

On the steers, it is normal to get inside edge wear on the drivers side and outside edge wear on the passenger side. This is because you make right turns hard, scrubbing the tires and left turns gently most of the time. the problem is worse for those who do a lot of city driving or make a lot of hard turns vs someone who runs mostly highway miles.

inside edge wear on both sides could be bearings out of adjustment or king pin bushings as well. Make sure they are in spec according to the book and a dial indicator. a lot of mechanics just jack them up and wiggle them without using a dial indicator. This is wrong. Know your values and know what is acceptable and what is not.
Good point. I'll have to do this also
replyreply
07-14-2017, (Subject: Steer axle ) 
Wheres ur fifth wheel at? I assume that year lonestar is the same as that year prostar with the rear fuel tanks and not forward tanks? Id say some of ur problem probably lies in that weight in the tank shifting forward at stops and turns and shifts and... since your running legal weight im assuming the tank aint full?
replyreply
07-15-2017, (Subject: Steer axle ) 
5th wheel is all the way back. You are correct on fuel tanks they are under the sleeper portion of the truck. The tanker I pull is never 200 % full. Best I can do on it is 9200 gross gallons as it's a 9500 gallon tank. I'd say 50% of the time it's loaded to 9100-9200 gallons and the rest of the time it's in the 7000 gallon range. I'll be trying the Michelin tires out to see if that makes a difference .
replyreply
07-15-2017, (Subject: Steer axle ) 
You could change tire size to the 315/80/22.5 that would allow 18K on the front tires I know your Axel rating is less but the law where I live only cares about what the tire capacity is not the Axel it.s the cheapest way to be legal but you will need to buy new front wheels to 22.5 x 9 and tires
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.