Algae or asphaltine?
07-25-2017, (Subject: Algae or asphaltine? ) 
Algae or asphaltine?
   Hi guys, a friend of mine just bought 2011 Volvo with volvo d13 engine, 560k miles.He's got 5000 miles on new oil and fuel filters and that's how his primary davco filter looks now. Is it algae or asphaltine, or just bad biodiesel? He only fuels at Pilot/Flying J. Truck was sitting in a lot for over a year before he bought it.No way to check the tanks, fuel lids are under the cab.Truck runs ok. Fuel filter is 25 micron.
replyreply
RE: Algae ir asphaltine?
Simple shock treatment on full fuel tanks for a week or two including a few extra primary filters and he'll be like new . Nothing to worry about. Absolutely normal given the circumstances.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Vjex
RE: Algae or asphaltine?
And tell him to stop putting the crap Pilot fuel in his truck. Tell him to download FuelBook, it will save him enough money in a week to buy fuel filters and showers.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Vjex
(07-25-2017 )Wiseman Wrote:  Simple shock treatment on full fuel tanks for a week or two including a few extra primary filters and he'll be like new . Nothing to worry about. Absolutely normal given the circumstances.

Thanks for your reply! And when you say shock treatment, what particulate additive do you have in mind for this situation?
replyreply
(07-25-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  And tell him to stop putting the crap Pilot fuel in his truck. Tell him to download FuelBook, it will save him enough money in a week to buy fuel filters and showers.

Well, I do fuel at Pilot most of the time myself and didn't have any issues so far. Company we leasing to has deep discounts with them, I'm talking 20-40 cents off a gallon depending on location.
replyreply
07-26-2017, (Subject: Algae or asphaltine? ) 
(07-25-2017 )Vjex Wrote:  
(07-25-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  And tell him to stop putting the crap Pilot fuel in his truck. Tell him to download FuelBook, it will save him enough money in a week to buy fuel filters and showers.

Well, I do fuel at Pilot most of the time myself and didn't have any issues so far. Company we leasing to has deep discounts with them, I'm talking 20-40 cents off a gallon depending on location.

You are running water through your motor... I can save that much if not more shopping mom and pops, and they sell straight diesel. Just saying. ;-)
replyreply
(07-25-2017 )Vjex Wrote:  
(07-25-2017 )Wiseman Wrote:  Simple shock treatment on full fuel tanks for a week or two including a few extra primary filters and he'll be like new . Nothing to worry about. Absolutely normal given the circumstances.

Thanks for your reply! And when you say shock treatment, what particulate additive do you have in mind for this situation?

Look for a diesel Biocide, there are a few out there. Most all truck stops sell it, or look on Amazon... Hear good things about this product. https://amzn.to/2Y3ZhAc
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Wiseman , Vjex
(07-25-2017 )Vjex Wrote:  Hi guys, a friend of mine just bought 2011 Volvo with volvo d13 engine, 560k miles.He's got 5000 miles on new oil and fuel filters and that's how his primary davco filter looks now. Is it algae or asphaltine, or just bad biodiesel? He only fuels at Pilot/Flying J. Truck was sitting in a lot for over a year before he bought it.No way to check the tanks, fuel lids are under the cab.Truck runs ok. Fuel filter is 25 micron.

I run a 10 micron filter. after 5,000 miles the bottom half of it is black. After 10,000 miles, most of it is black and the fuel is half way up it. After 20,000 miles the fuel is close to the black line at the top indicating it needs replacement soon and the whole element by now is completely black.

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH MY TRUCK OR ITS FUEL SYSTEM!.

In fact, I have never seen a truck fuel filter that did not turn black by the time is needed replacement. Problem is that most guys don't put fine enough filters on their fuel systems to keep buildup at bay.

Mine has done this since the truck was brand new. It now has over a million miles on it. All that black in my davco filters on my own truck is asphaltene buildup. I had it tested once. A 7 or 10 micron filter will keep it at bay. A 25 or 50 micron filter will only catch about 15% of it and the rest keeps circulating around and building up until is takes over the fuel system.

Start running 10 micron filters and dump some bio-cide in the tanks to kill any algae in the mean time. -- keep spare filters and a wrench to replace them in the truck just in case it is algae.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Wiseman , Vjex , fargonaz
Very helpfull, thank you very much!!!
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.