Turbo Oil Leak CM870
07-24-2017, (Subject: Turbo Oil Leak CM870 ) 
Turbo Oil Leak CM870
Just got a new to me 06 International 9900 home with a CM870 ISX. Turbo side of the engine has seen a lot of oil. Got it all washed up and let it run for awhile to start chasing down leaks, and it is leaking oil where the actuator valve goes into the turbo. It isn't a lot of oil, but drip every minute or so while at idle.

Brought up the turbo on quickserve, not seeing any O-rings or anything that can be changed out by unbolting the actuator. Is the seal there internal to the turbo and not serviceable? Anybody had this apart that can clue me in before I tear into it? Thank you in advance.

Also while I am at it, this is my first truck with a variable turbo I have ever driven. Do they sound a whole lot different than a standard turbo? Outside the truck I don't hear much difference, but while driving the truck inside I feel like there is a turbo leak when it spools up.....however I am not able to find any boost leaks as of yet.

./uploads/201707/post_2982_1500951673_ea741eb0207c011c13c050b9fa69b779.jpg
replyreply
RE: Turbo Oil Leak CM870
If the egr has not been de-mandated it will probably sound that was from the backpresdure when the nozzle closes. As far as the oil..... all the 870 turbos I have seen do not leak there so I would say the inside is probably shot. I personally don't like to see oil leaking from anywhere.
replyreply
EGR is intact, that very well could be it as far as the engine and boost sounding different to me. I have pulled a couple sensors and of course they are sooty so I am going to be doing an EGR tune up before harvest...but that isn't related to the question or answer.

I don't like seeing oil from anywhere either, which is why I am trying to figure out if there is a way I can fix it without replacing the turbo, or if its just time. It looks like the original turbo with 520k, so I suppose its about time. Would be nice to get some loads out of it first though.
replyreply
07-25-2017, (Subject: Turbo Oil Leak CM870 ) 
Yes , there's leap seal pressed into the cartridge body and it's serviceable. Keep in mind that you have to disassemble the whole turbo a part to do that . But I doubt the seal is the problem ! There's also a bushing pressed into the cartridge. Both (the bushing and shaft) wear out and the seal can't handle that much side (radial) play and start leaking.
I do not recommend messing with, unless you know what you're doing.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
 Thanks given by: tlzimmerman
Perfect, that is exactly what I wanted to know. It isn't going to hurt it to let it leak until it is time to replace the turbo, which will probably be soon. Thank you for sharing your knowledge, I appreciate it.
replyreply
(07-25-2017 )Wiseman Wrote:  Yes , there's leap seal pressed into the cartridge body and it's serviceable. Keep in mind that you have to disassemble the whole turbo a part to do that . But I doubt the seal is the problem ! There's also a bushing pressed into the cartridge. Both (the bushing and shaft) wear out and the seal can't handle that much side (radial) play and start leaking.

tell the whole story wiseman, i know its a educational one.

DO NOT TOUCH OR TAKE APART A TURBO ON A 870!$%$! electronic turbo sure, but not a air actuated one. your turbo is failing, they leak there when they start to get old and worn out.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Wiseman
Oh I touched it already..... :O Oh noes! Seriously though I get your point, which is why I asked for advice from those who know. I have no experience with these actuated variable turbos, much different than the N-14's in our other trucks. I was hoping there was an O-ring or something I could replace, but I am not going in after a pressed seal.

I knew it was about time for a turbo when I bought the truck. It also needs a clutch and flywheel soon, and the rear main is leaking a bit. Those will all get done together. It only has to make it 4000 miles to pay itself off, and that is after fuel, insurance, and figuring about $2000 in random maintenance and ruined tires.....so unless the motor grenades soon I think I will come out ahead. I know the cams look good on the engine....hopefully I can keep them that way.

I am making a plug for the intake though just in case the turbo fails in a way where the engine decides to runaway I can get it starved for air before it destroys itself.

Thanks again for the advice guys, I am sure I will have more questions as I get farther into working through this truck.
replyreply
07-26-2017, (Subject: Turbo Oil Leak CM870 ) 
(07-25-2017 )Unilevers Wrote:  
(07-25-2017 )Wiseman Wrote:  Yes , there's leap seal pressed into the cartridge body and it's serviceable. Keep in mind that you have to disassemble the whole turbo a part to do that . But I doubt the seal is the problem ! There's also a bushing pressed into the cartridge. Both (the bushing and shaft) wear out and the seal can't handle that much side (radial) play and start leaking.

tell the whole story wiseman, i know its a educational one.

DO NOT TOUCH OR TAKE APART A TURBO ON A 870!$%$! electronic turbo sure, but not a air actuated one. your turbo is failing, they leak there when they start to get old and worn out.

I promise to tell everything in detail and what I've learned. In the meantime I suggest everyone to stick to your advice ! And thanks for everything you've done for me !
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.