CM 2250 issues
07-29-2017, (Subject: CM 2250 issues ) 
CM 2250 issues
New to forum, thanks for a great site. This might be a bit lengthy but want all the history out there to help diagnose. I do not have insite yet trying to convince the wife. New to emissions previous truck 93 KW with Detroit .

Bought 2012 Pete with Cummins 2250 on 6-27-17. Has 564k miles and came from a big fleet. We left fleet and fueled up near by, starting making a woofing sound but it came out of it by the time we filled and paid. Figured it might be something with emissions that we weren't used to. Drove it 350 miles home and ran fine. Next day went to take it to get lettered, started that woofing sound again but CEL light came on. Did some local loads with it and ran great. 7-6-17 took to a local dealership for oil change, dot inspection, and CEL. They said CEL was the outtake NOx sensor. Between them ordering wrong sensor and Cummins being out it didn't come in till 7-24. They said I could keep running it in the meantime. 7-9 my dpf filter light came on with a check engine with a wrench light. Said particular trap 1 plugged. Did a manual burn and dpf and engine light went off. Ran 250 miles and dpf light came on again. Did another manual regeneration and light went off around 70 minutes. Drove 300 miles and light comes on again do another manual regeneration and after 90 minutes it says on dash reg required. Shut it down until 7-24 and got it back to dealership. They replaced that sensor, cleared code but couldn't get regeneration light off even after a forced regeneration. They talked to Cummins and they said I needed software update, I guess it's never had one, dealership couldn't do it so I ran it to Cummins on 7-25. All lights are off and running good. 150 miles later CEL light comes back on and I get it right back to dealership. Said it was code 3582 after treatment SCR catalyst Conversion Efficiency-data valid but below normal operating range-moderately severe level. Said I needed a performance test and they couldn't run it.(will not be going back to them) talk to another shop(not a dealership) he could run that test but shop was full. Said I should just remove the mandates. 7-27 I haul a load and get back to load and once parked dpf light comes on again once I get going up to about 20 mph light goes out. Parked it comes back on until back up to speed. Did this for the next two loads while loading and unloading. I head to go get a different load, light comes on when I'm going 68 noticed in mirror I was leaving white smoke in air. 5 miles later I kick off cruise and exhaust stops smoking. Pulled into a different dealership 5 miles later and they hook up the computer. Had that 3582 code and 1656(engine misfire cylinder 3) 3375(dpf regeneration to frequent) and 2639(dpf differential pressure). He wanted to run performance test on injector but computer made him do a regeneration. I don't think he ever ran the performance test. He gave me 2 sheets of numbers from the data monitor I'll list a couple if need more just say so.
After treatment diesel oxidation catalyst intake temp 642F
Dpf intake temp 903F
Dpf outlet temp 1008.8f
Dpf outlet pressure 1.38 inHg
More numbers available if needed.

He said at the end of the regeneration intake and outlet temps were both around 1200f.

He claims my DOC filter is face plugged. $3500 plus labor for new one. $390 to clean DpF. Injector and connector $1060 plus 4 hours labor. Didn't do anything yet.

He cleared codes so I could load and go home. Put 90 miles on and no lights came on. 7-28 I removed IMAP sensor. Packed full of soot. Took Delta p sensor off and it was also dirty. Picked up new IMAP sensor this morning, they had to order the Delta p. Talking to service manager I told him I planned on cleaning the egr system today. Told him everything i was going to clean and he replied if you know to do all this you can come start working for me next week. I said I learned everything by watching Rawze's video's. Put IMAP sensor in. Cleaned the tube that goes over the engine to the intake. Couldn't get want I think is the egr valve off the engine so didn't clean that[/size][/font]. It didn't look that bad at that spot. Took some small lines off that went from the the exhaust manifold to a sensor. Put old Delta p sensor back on for time being. Currently waiting for lines to dry to put back on.

Not burning any oil or losing coolant in 1800 miles. Doser injector looks original still red paint.

By the numbers does it look like I need a new DOC filter? What's my next step? Any suggestions? All the third party shops want to remove mandates for $10k, can't afford that and Rawze's info on it has kind of scared me out of doing it. The $5k at the dealership was going to be a stretch for us but if I knew it corrected the problem we'd do it. Can I replace the doc filter without insite and just get it to a shop to reset ecm? Trying to learn as I go and have been staying up late trying to absorb as much info on this engine system. Thanks in advance.
replyreply
RE: CM 2250 issues
Where are you located? De-mandated is around a 1/3 of that quoted cost (but there are risks), that 10k quote is them bending you over a barrel. Next will be that they need to remove the vg turbo and a new exhaust manifold to the tune of another 7k (see where this is going).. As far as the numbers I would have to go back and research them to see.. I'm sure Rawze or someone else will chime in that knows straight away..
replyreply
(07-29-2017 )Squish099 Wrote:  Where are you located? De-mandated is around a 1/3 of that quoted cost (but there are risks), that 10k quote is them bending you over a barrel. Next will be that they need to remove the vg turbo and a new exhaust manifold to the tune of another 7k (see where this is going).. As far as the numbers I would have to go back and research them to see.. I'm sure Rawze or someone else will chime in that knows straight away..

Eastern Nebraska I'm in the grain hauling business, it seems around here if you've got a truck like this everybod removes mandates. I'm stubborn enough to keep it stock just to prove them it doesn't need to be done. I'm just not fond of the idea. The one for $10k would be a new turbo. Which irritates me a bit because the fleet put a turbo on 40k ago. My brother in law told me of a guy doing it for $2800, leaves the turbo and tells people when it goes bad we'll put the correct one on. Not fond of that either it's more down time. Still waiting for estimates from 2 shops for the doc and just the removal of mandate. Also running into finding a local parts store that sells the doc filter. Hate to pay OEM price unless you guys say they are far superior than after markets.
replyreply
"....put the correct one on.."????

RUN!!!!!!!

User's Signature: You want how much?
replyreply
Fergie, look up Magard on this site. I believe he has the same truck you have, motor, Pete... He rid himself of his mandate himself, with some help from Unilever I believe. There is some welding involved with the SCR system, if I am not mistaken. But, you will need an Inline reader with Insite and a Windows laptop. Get one on eBay, that is where I got mine. And yes, I rid myself of my mandate in my driveway with a MacBook Pro and a bit of help from Unilever. I have the CM-871, which was very easy to do, that was in 2014, mandate free baby, and the motor is fine. Yours, takes a bit of work, but is doable if you can weld, or have a buddy that can.

Also, the FUEL PUMP! You do know about THAT? If not, speak up, you think you have problems with your wife now... If that fuel pump goes... Boat Anchor.

Here is an Inline Reader with Software. Yes, it is from China, but that is where most all of us bought ours and they work. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cummins-Inline-6...SwCkZZVHT6

Check pricing, the Chinese ones are fine, I have had mine for a few years, an Inline 5 Reader, it works great and came with the needed software. Unilever helped me set it all up on my laptop.

Hope this helps.

Oh, my MacBook Pro runs windows... ;-)
replyreply
(07-29-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  Fergie, look up Magard on this site. I believe he has the same truck you have, motor, Pete... He rid himself of his mandate himself, with some help from Unilever I believe. There is some welding involved with the SCR system, if I am not mistaken. But, you will need an Inline reader with Insite. Get one on eBay, that is where I got mine. And yes, I rid myself of my mandate in my driveway with a MacBook Pro and a bit of help from Unilever. I have the CM-871, which was very easy to do. Yours, takes a bit of work, but is doable if you can weld, or have a buddy that can.

Also, the FUEL PUMP! You do know about THAT? If not, speak up, you think you have problems with your wife now... If that fuel pump goes... Boat Anchor.
Yes I've read about that fuel pump the other night, probably check that out tomorrow.
replyreply
(07-29-2017 )Fergie Wrote:  
(07-29-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  Fergie, look up Magard on this site. I believe he has the same truck you have, motor, Pete... He rid himself of his mandate himself, with some help from Unilever I believe. There is some welding involved with the SCR system, if I am not mistaken. But, you will need an Inline reader with Insite. Get one on eBay, that is where I got mine. And yes, I rid myself of my mandate in my driveway with a MacBook Pro and a bit of help from Unilever. I have the CM-871, which was very easy to do. Yours, takes a bit of work, but is doable if you can weld, or have a buddy that can.

Yes I've read about that fuel pump the other night, probably check that out tomorrow.

Hit the refresh on my post and see if you missed anything, I am a notorious editor!
replyreply
(07-29-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  
(07-29-2017 )Fergie Wrote:  

Hit the refresh on my post and see if you missed anything, I am a notorious editor!

Thanks, that's one of them I was contemplating.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
I have a 2012 kw t660 with a 2250 De-mandated.. Vg turbo is still in place.. Oil is cleaner then it's ever been before.. Fuel milage is up.. The right tune will do wonders.. I looked when I had the "problem" with mine, best price I could find was 1800 for dpf, 2200 for doc.. I was quoted 2800 (I believe), with overhead adjustment, boost and pyrometer gauges installed, full insite test run, and custom tune..
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.