Tools needed to do your own road side tire swap?
08-01-2017, (Subject: Tools needed to do your own road side tire swap? ) 
RE: Tools needed to do your own road side tire swap?
(08-01-2017 )AussieISX Wrote:  It would be extremely rare to find an operator here that doesn't have the equipment to change a flat tire with them , a driver not capable of doing a flat tyre change would be ridiculed generally. Must be a different world over there in the transport industry. I personally keep a steer and drive wheel bearing set and small amount of 85/140 , alternator, all idler bearings, fan and a/c belts , starter motor , boost hoses , 2.5" silicon hose for coolant hoses , all sorts of o-rings clamps and all the tools required to change any of the components that I carry as spares . To get a so called mechanic out costs a ridiculous amount and takes more time sitting waiting than just getting on with it yourself. Not everyone carrys all the gear I do but a lot of guys do

Yes, it's a much different world over here. I would say that if you're hauling general freight on the American Interatate system it would be rare to be much more than 30-40 miles from a truckstop tireshop or general service center.
As a Canadian who has made remote region trips (i.e. Inuvik, Tuktoyuktuk, Labrador, Lupin, etc.) I can appreciate the challenges of Aus outback trucking, but wholly admit that generally speaking, "we don't really know how good we've got it"

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: AussieISX , Waterloo
08-02-2017, (Subject: Tools needed to do your own road side tire swap? ) 
RE: Tools needed to do your own road side tire swap?
This is a playlist of a show called Outback Truckers. As the name implies it follows a handful of Aus truckers as they deliver throughout the outback. It's the same shi#t different pile formula of Ice Road Truckers so there is lots of make believe drama dreamed up by the producers. If you can ignore that it is quite informative on just how easy we have it here in the colonies. There is even one character that fits to a T Rawze's story of the guy who gives 110%, drives every second available, and complains he's not making any money. Yes he's the guy driving in the proverbial ditch while everyone else is on the freeway.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...rjJcLzJsKB

User's Signature: Too young to quit........Too old to change.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.