5th Wheel Question
08-04-2017, (Subject: 5th Wheel Question ) 
5th Wheel Question
Hey guys,

While making my delivery last night I noticed that my 5th wheel release handle was extremely easy to pull. I checked under the plate and found that the bumper spring was broken.

Then I thought about it, other than greasing the plate, is there any other preventative maintenance parts to replace on a 5th wheel? Does anyone rebuild theirs after a certain mileage? I've thought about getting a rebuild kit as I have almost 500,000 miles on the truck and I drop and hook to multiple trailers every day.

I honestly do not know much about a 5th wheel. I know they are fairly simple in how they work, but knowing that it is the only connection between the trailer and my truck, it makes me nervous.

Thanks for any input!
Dozer

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply
RE: 5th Wheel Question
(08-04-2017 )Billdozer2 Wrote:  Hey guys,

While making my delivery last night I noticed that my 5th wheel release handle was extremely easy to pull. I checked under the plate and found that the bumper spring was broken.

Then I thought about it, other than greasing the plate, is there any other preventative maintenance parts to replace on a 5th wheel? Does anyone rebuild theirs after a certain mileage? I've thought about getting a rebuild kit as I have almost 500,000 miles on the truck and I drop and hook to multiple trailers every day.

I honestly do not know much about a 5th wheel. I know they are fairly simple in how they work, but knowing that it is the only connection between the trailer and my truck, it makes me nervous.

Thanks for any input!
Dozer

5th wheel is fairly easy to re-build with a proper kit. That being said, i do have reservations on re-building certain things on my truck for liability reasons. the 5th wheel being one of them. Here is a reference...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...4#pid10314

If I were pulling my own trailers, I would have re-built it, but since I pull for other carriers who have lots of lawyers and deep pockets, I just replaced it when mine needed a re-build kit.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Toolguy
(08-04-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  5th wheel is fairly easy to re-build with a proper kit. That being said, i do have reservations on re-building certain things on my truck for liability reasons. the 5th wheel being one of them. Here is a reference...

Thanks Rawze. I've been researching online about my 5th wheel and it seems really easy to rebuild mine. There are several videos from Fontaine on youtube. But I feel the same way. It's really something I don't want to mess with. I got 5 years and 500k on mine. When did you replace yours?

replyreply
(08-04-2017 )Billdozer2 Wrote:  
(08-04-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  5th wheel is fairly easy to re-build with a proper kit. That being said, i do have reservations on re-building certain things on my truck for liability reasons. the 5th wheel being one of them. Here is a reference...

Thanks Rawze. I've been researching online about my 5th wheel and it seems really easy to rebuild mine. There are several videos from Fontaine on youtube. But I feel the same way. It's really something I don't want to mess with. I got 5 years and 500k on mine. When did you replace yours?

I replaced mine when it ran out of adjustment. it had about 750k miles or so on it I think. We also do a lot of drop-hook.

Mine is a Holland. I did spend the money on an official Holland 5th wheel king pin test kit so that I could keep it adjusted properly. If memory serves me right,.. There should be no more than 3/8" play from the pin to the top plate connection with the test pin on any brand of 5th wheel. Any more than 3/8" and its against D.O.T.

BTW: I still have the old top plate AND the re-man kit for it. It is a Holland (I think it is an FWS2) . I got the re-man kit because I was going to re-man it, but then decided not to. The top plate is still in really good shape. I have had recent thoughts about sending it to the local scrap yard if no one wants it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Where did you guys buy your FW? I've got almost 700k on mine and was just thinking about this the other day.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
(08-04-2017 )Billdozer2 Wrote:  Hey guys,

is there any other preventative maintenance

The only other thing you can do is spray some lube under the plate where the sliding fork slides. If it's a Holland if you follow that pin that sticks out of the front of the plate it becomes a "U" shaped piece that straddles the pin. The sides of this need some lube as if it dries out it becomes hard to get the wheel to lock and unlock the pin. I use fluid film (a bit pricey but very convenient and easy). The carriers shop uses a 50/50 mix of diesel and used oil (a lot cheaper but not as easy or convenient).

User's Signature: Too young to quit........Too old to change.
replyreply
(08-04-2017 )dhirocz Wrote:  Where did you guys buy your FW? I've got almost 700k on mine and was just thinking about this the other day.

I have a Fontaine. I just went to their website and found that the International and Freightliner Dealers near me are Fontaine dealers. Not sure about anyone else, but I called everybody around me. Nobody carried spare parts. I plan on replacing the broken spring for now with a spring kit, which hopefully will arrive Monday, and will likely replace the complete plate in the future. However, I may take on rebuilding it if the new 5th wheel plate price is ridiculous. (Someone had a 7000 series heavy duty Fontaine, which I don't have but just curious about the price of it, and it was over $3,000. I laughed and said "No.")

I'd try your 5th wheel manufacture's website. They may have information about authorized dealers in your area.

(08-04-2017 )kryten Wrote:  The only other thing you can do is spray some lube under the plate where the sliding fork slides. If it's a Holland if you follow that pin that sticks out of the front of the plate it becomes a "U" shaped piece that straddles the pin. The sides of this need some lube as if it dries out it becomes hard to get the wheel to lock and unlock the pin. I use fluid film (a bit pricey but very convenient and easy). The carriers shop uses a 50/50 mix of diesel and used oil (a lot cheaper but not as easy or convenient).

Thanks kryten! I checked Fontaine's website and they had quite a bit of information regarding my 5th wheel. I was able to watch several videos about maintenance and rebuilding.

I feel like I have completely failed regarding 5th wheel maintenance on my truck.

replyreply
I'm rebuilding mine this weekend. Ordered the minor rebuild kit from Ryder fleet products which includes the nuts, bushings, wedges and springs. Have 750k miles on it.
replyreply
(08-04-2017 )Billdozer2 Wrote:  ...
it was over $3,000. I laughed and said "No."

All the stealershits said $2800 - $3000 for mine too. I went to truck-pro and they quoted me $680 for the top plate assy and said that $2800 would be for the whole base and all.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Billdozer2

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.