5th Wheel Question
08-05-2017, (Subject: 5th Wheel Question ) 
RE: 5th Wheel Question
(08-04-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  All the stealershits said $2800 - $3000 for mine too. I went to truck-pro and they quoted me $680 for the top plate assy and said that $2800 would be for the whole base and all.

Gotcha. I figured at that insane price it had to come with the base as well. Which, if I was going to go to a series 6000 or 7000, I would unfortunately have to change the base. I have a Fontaine NT, which apparently is like a 6000, but with a different base.

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply
08-06-2017, (Subject: 5th Wheel Question ) 
I'm not familiar with the Fontain 5th, but I've done several Hollands.

Here is my guideline for deciding if a Holland 5th is worth rebuilding.
you have to clean the grease off first, crappy job
1) Is the plate flat? Yes=good, No=No go
2) Does it have any grooves worn into it? No=good Yes=No go
3) Does it still have the fine machining grooves in it, or has it worn smooth Yes=good No=questionable
4) Has it "keyholed"? Where the pin rides, is it a larger diameter there than the opening where the pin slides into the ride position? No=good Yes=scrap
5) Do I really feel like getting filthy doing a $h!tt¥ job, or do I have the extra $$ to just swap it? Yes=maybe No=F##k NO!

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Billdozer2 , Rawze
08-06-2017, (Subject: 5th Wheel Question ) 
(08-06-2017 )Hammerhead Wrote:  I'm not familiar with the Fontain 5th, but I've done several Hollands.

Here is my guideline for deciding if a Holland 5th is worth rebuilding.
you have to clean the grease off first, crappy job
1) Is the plate flat? Yes=good, No=No go
2) Does it have any grooves worn into it? No=good Yes=No go
3) Does it still have the fine machining grooves in it, or has it worn smooth Yes=good No=questionable
4) Has it "keyholed"? Where the pin rides, is it a larger diameter there than the opening where the pin slides into the ride position? No=good Yes=scrap
5) Do I really feel like getting filthy doing a $h!tt¥ job, or do I have the extra $$ to just swap it? Yes=maybe No=F##k NO!

Oh yeah, I've also never rebuilt one and had it last to adjustment/jaw wear out before the plate was where I considered it to be keyhole failed, so take that into account as well.
If you can see they keyholing with your naked eye, it may "pass inspection" but you will feel the slop, and I consider that a failure.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.