5018 - 18 + 5018 -11 Nighmare
08-06-2017, (Subject: 5018 - 18 + 5018 -11 Nighmare ) 
RE: 5018 - 18 + 5018 -11 Nighmare
You need to rid yourself of the mandate, very easy to do, if you are in Africa. ;-)

First thing, do an EGR Tuneup, replace ALL of the sensors, including the Doser. The how to, step by step, is at the video section above...

Been through what you are going through with my CM-871, 2008 ProStar, it about bankrupted me until I found this site and Rawze... EGR Tuneup solved the immediate issues and got me back to profitability, and then the DPF filter went... Cummins quoted me $7300 for a new set up. I cured that issue, being in Africa, and rid myself of the mandate in my driveway with some simple hand tools, a Chinese In Line 5 reader from eBay and a laptop. That was what, 3+ years ago? The programming is sound, the results are evident, as there are many of us running it without issue. And Rawze was kind enough to do all of this work and post that info for all to use for FREE, including with PICTURES, LOL! It was like being a little kid again and finding Dad's stash of Playboy! I will never be able to thank Rawze enough. He did not save my marriage, but he more importantly SAVED MY BACON!

Back to your issue, after I did the EGR Tuneup, the REAL fun began... All of the very real, and VERY ugly issues with the motor reared their ugly head. And this all went down soon after completing the EGR Tuneup. That mandate crap masks quite a bit of damage, like a bad head. I won't go into all of the ugly details, but did you know that your radiator can explode? It did, and thank GOD I was sitting, PARKED, in the staging area when it happened.

The heads on the 871 are disposables. They are normally good for what, 700,000 miles? Do not reman the head, do not purchase a reman head, install a NEW head. A dirty little secret at Cummins is that many of their reman 871 heads are actually brand new, as the odds of getting a decent head to reman off of an 871 are slim to none. Kind of says it all in my book.

Bottom line, you have EGR issues, start with the tuneup, including a new Doser, and then remove the mandate. More than likely, you will need to do what Rawze stated earlier, put a brand new head on that motor and roll new bearings in underneath and than hollow out those cans. That is where I would start. Once that is done, you will have a bulletproof motor, unless there is other internal damage, and then you are looking at an in frame.

A little fact here, the CM-871 produces 6 POUNDS of soot between oil changes. Guess where the bulk of that soot winds up? Have you noticed when you are servicing the truck, when the nice young man fills your motor with fresh HONEY BROWN oil and pulls the dipstick out for your inspection and that the oil is already coal black? Soot baby, SOOT! It stays in your motor and just eats it alive.

I checked my oil this morning, I normally change it out every 12,000 to 15,000 miles... Right now I have around 14,000 miles on my Rotella, regular dino... It is still Honey Brown and CLEAR. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. ;-)

You are in the right place, and I am far from a go to guy around here, I just have dumb luck and a lot of help. I'm the guy that asks the stupid questions, LOL! But God have I been through the mill, and the guys here will attest to that, including Rawze. BUT, like Brock stated in his earlier post, there are a whole bunch of us guys here that have been through EXACTLY what you are currently going through and we are here to help. Real help, no BS here, and you can bank on that. ;-)
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 5018 - 18 + 5018 -11 Nighmare - Waterloo - 08-06-2017

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.