Looking for help/advice on truck purchase
08-12-2017, (Subject: Looking for help/advice on truck purchase ) 
RE: Looking for help/advice on truck purchase
(08-12-2017 )RStewart Wrote:  I knew they had fuel pump issues buy I thought I read by 2013 they had that problem pretty much fixed. But I don't know.

How do I know if it's an 870 or 871? What years were they used in the trucks?

The 871 will have the DPF DOC can, no SCR. The 870 has no cans, but EGR and normal exhaust components and is also a solid motor with the correct tuning, 2007 and earlier. Gearhead is said to be the master 870 tuner here. The 871's were manufactured between late 2007 and up to 2011 I believe. There may be a few 2012 models running them too.

The fuel pump issue on the 2250 and 2350 had a recall, but even those are failing and wiping out motors. Rawze and other here have stated that once rebuilt, or replaced, these pump should be either replaced or rebuilt every 300,000 to 400,000 miles. They tend to blow apart around the 400 mark if what I have been reading, and seeing is correct. I believe a new pump is running $6-$8,000. A rebuild kit is also available for a few hundred or there about. But, it is a regular maintenance item, one that if skipped, could destroy your motor. When they go, you normally get no warning.

A ticking time bomb that personally, I would avoid.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , RStewart , rgreen

Messages In This Thread
RE: Looking for help/advice on truck purchase - Waterloo - 08-12-2017

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.