Looking for help/advice on truck purchase
08-13-2017, (Subject: Looking for help/advice on truck purchase ) 
RE: Looking for help/advice on truck purchase
Rawze is spot on regarding the gearing, something I did not give much thought to when looking for a truck. I was looking for the accessories, mainly big hp, 18 spd, lockers, with a lift axle and wet kit, the Tri-Pak was the icing on the cake with the truck I purchased. The gearing was the last thing on my list as I did not have the time to spec a new truck and was in a rush to put the truck to work. Looking back, I screwed up.

I'm running 3:42, which suck for what I am NOW doing, local/regional. 3:70 gearing would suit me much better, or even that 3:90 which I used to have in one of my old Volvos. That truck was getting 8 mpg driving in its sweet spot at around 60 mph.

Then tractor length. I have a 244 inch wheelbase which is right at the max for what I do in my ProStar. I wish it were shorter now that I have went from the oil field pulling a tanker to a dry box pulling automotive freight. Most of the places I now go are set up for day cabs, which can get interesting at times.

And, what truck? I hate to say it, but I would more than likely buy another ProStar just because I know what the issues are and how to fix the majority of them in my driveway. And I like the dealer network, there is an International dealer in almost every small town, unlike say Volvo or Pete. Something else to consider, as I have had my bacon saved more than a few times when in need of a part asap.

Just some thoughts.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: LargeCar , Toolguy

Messages In This Thread
RE: Looking for help/advice on truck purchase - Waterloo - 08-13-2017

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.