Brand new isx 12 What do i need to know?
08-12-2017, (Subject: Brand new isx 12 What do i need to know? ) 
Brand new isx 12 What do i need to know?
I bought a brand new crane truck, it's a Pete 365 with an isx 12. I'm just wondering what I need to know about this engine, Like what are common problems with it.

Eng. # 75058396
Family HCEXH0729XAE
manufacture date 3/17
Ref.# E6UWAT96H267B26262
CPL 4892
replyreply
08-12-2017, (Subject: Brand new isx 12 What do i need to know? ) 
RE: Brand new isx 12 What do i need to know?
you need to start here. Check the mfg date of the ECM itself, not just the engine. ntsb recall here ...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...72#pid6672

And then there is the very recent fuel pump problem,.. ntsb recall here...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...3#pid16993

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , Hammerhead
08-13-2017, (Subject: Brand new isx 12 What do i need to know? ) 
looks like my ECM is part of the recall, I'll call the dealer monday morning. I read through the fuel pump recall information and I don't see anything about the ISX12 being involved in that,looks like that one is an ISX15 problem.
Can the mandate on my ISX12 be removed just like on the ISX15 ? I would like to keep it stock until the warranty runs out and then possibly remove the mandate.
replyreply
(08-13-2017 )tree98 Wrote:  looks like my ECM is part of the recall, I'll call the dealer monday morning. I read through the fuel pump recall information and I don't see anything about the ISX12 being involved in that,looks like that one is an ISX15 problem.
Can the mandate on my ISX12 be removed just like on the ISX15 ? I would like to keep it stock until the warranty runs out and then possibly remove the mandate.

If you're going to "keep it stock" for the duration of the warranty, as soon as the truck comes back from Peterbilt getting the ECM issue corrected, INSTALL A BYPASS OIL FILTER on that thing IMEDIATELY!
Cranes by the very nature of their job, idle a lot. The EGR percentage is very high during idle, so increased filtration to tackle the soot issue is your biggest concern. I'm sure your well aware of this, but don't do oil changes by miles on a crane truck, but by hours. Knowing that you will be idling, and naturally heavy soot loading the oil, I'd recommend 200hr intervals. Oil is cheaper than motors.
Make sure you keep on top of EGR system tune-up/soot clean outs as well because of the stated concerns.
I don't know what 400k miles would be in hours, but beware the XPI fuel pump self destruct issue and change it at or before this time.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
(08-13-2017 )tree98 Wrote:  ...
I don't see anything about the ISX12 being involved in that

Actually the IX12 is ..
http://www.overdriveonline.com/more-than...-recalled/

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Roysbigtoys
(08-13-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  
(08-13-2017 )tree98 Wrote:  ...
I don't see anything about the ISX12 being involved in that

Actually the IX12 is ..
http://www.overdriveonline.com/more-than...-recalled/

Yeah this one involves my ECM
replyreply
(08-13-2017 )Hammerhead Wrote:  
(08-13-2017 )tree98 Wrote:  looks like my ECM is part of the recall, I'll call the dealer monday morning. I read through the fuel pump recall information and I don't see anything about the ISX12 being involved in that,looks like that one is an ISX15 problem.

If you're going to "keep it stock" for the duration of the warranty, as soon as the truck comes back from Peterbilt getting the ECM issue corrected, INSTALL A BYPASS OIL FILTER on that thing IMEDIATELY!
Cranes by the very nature of their job, idle a lot. The EGR percentage is very high during idle, so increased filtration to tackle the soot issue is your biggest concern. I'm sure your well aware of this, but don't do oil changes by miles on a crane truck, but by hours. Knowing that you will be idling, and naturally heavy soot loading the oil, I'd recommend 200hr intervals. Oil is cheaper than motors.
Make sure you keep on top of EGR system tune-up/soot clean outs as well because of the stated concerns.
I don't know what 400k miles would be in hours, but beware the XPI fuel pump self destruct issue and change it at or before this time.

So your saying this engine has the fuel pump with the ceramic plungers? I thought they would have changed that setup by now.WTF?
replyreply
I've been reading the bypass oil filter thread so I can install one on this engine. I notice the oil cooler is a different design on the ISX12. Which port would be ok to use? they are all right below the turbo. Also it looks like the easiest place to run the return line to is the plug in the side of the oil pan, is there any reason why that's not a good place ?I tried to post a pic of the cooler but I can't get it to work.
replyreply
(08-13-2017 )tree98 Wrote:  So your saying this engine has the fuel pump with the ceramic plungers? I thought they would have changed that setup by now.WTF?

Ceramic plungers were worse than the newer steel. Even if it is updated and has steel plungers, it slows the problem down, but they still fail at about the 400 - 500k mark and take the engine with them. It is simply a bad design of the pump.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.