line boring mains
08-14-2017, (Subject: line boring mains ) 
line boring mains
question for anybody that has had good luck with or a mechanic that would or would not recommend it, spun a main bearing on number 7 main not bad but its going to need to be line honed bored whatever thinking about paying the core and keeping block and doing it putting a new crank in with new rods pistons and anti polishing ring liners and setting the liners at 14 thousandths just wondering if anybody has done or the other side would recommend not doing the line boring on the mains
replyreply
08-15-2017, (Subject: line boring mains ) 
RE: line boring mains
Generally when you line bore a block, you need to use a thicker head gasket to maintain proper compression and piston-to-head clearance. I don't know of any larger head gaskets to suit the ISX so you may run into issues there. Call a reputable machine shop (preferably one that deals with the ISX) and see what they think can be done.
replyreply
Sounds like a short-block would be cheaper in the end. You could always pull out the liners and raise them to 0.014".

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
also oversize bearings are hard to find for the isx. The newest engine ive done it on in isx world was a 570.
replyreply
Some machine shops used to Weld the bearing surface in the block then cut mill the cap and then reline hone it so that it stays in same location. I don't know if you can find anyone who still does that. I also don't know how well cummins blocks will handle the heat that Welding will introduce into the main web. But the Weld will be harder then the block is..
replyreply
Laser deposition and re-machining is the only sure-fire correct way of such repairs...

Quote:The Cummins Remanufacturing Process

Disassembly – Engines and parts are completely disassembled with great care to protect and prepare key components for processing – right down to the last screw, nut, bolt and spring.

Cleaning – Each part is carefully cleaned using the latest technology to remove debris without removing any metal, including the use of dry ice, enzymes and lasers for specialized cleaning needs.

Inspection – The latest technology, including ultrasonic inspection, is just one of the many methods used to verify that every ReCon part meets original factory specifications.

Restoration – Cummins uses a variety of techniques to ensure that parts meet original specifications or improved standards of performance.

Worn surfaces are restored with thermal spray and laser deposition

Computer-controlled lathes and machining centers, together with advanced honing and grinding equipment, renew worn bores, shafts and critical component profiles
If a part doesn’t meet specifications, it is scrapped and replaced with a new Genuine Cummins part
Any upgrades or supercessions that have taken place in the years since the original part was made will be included as part of the Cummins remanufacturing process
State-of-the-art techniques are used to achieve consistent quality in assembly

Testing – Validation testing using fail-safe processes verifies that the performance and reliability of the finished product meet Cummins standards.

reference: https://cumminseurope.com/engines/recon-engines

Laser deposition process ...

https://www.trumpf.com/en_US/application...ition-lmd/

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz
(08-15-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  Laser deposition and re-machining is the only sure-fire correct way of such repairs...

Quote:The Cummins Remanufacturing Process

Disassembly – Engines and parts are completely disassembled with great care to protect and prepare key components for processing – right down to the last screw, nut, bolt and spring.

Cleaning – Each part is carefully cleaned using the latest technology to remove debris without removing any metal, including the use of dry ice, enzymes and lasers for specialized cleaning needs.

Inspection – The latest technology, including ultrasonic inspection, is just one of the many methods used to verify that every ReCon part meets original factory specifications.

Restoration – Cummins uses a variety of techniques to ensure that parts meet original specifications or improved standards of performance.

Worn surfaces are restored with thermal spray and laser deposition

Computer-controlled lathes and machining centers, together with advanced honing and grinding equipment, renew worn bores, shafts and critical component profiles
If a part doesn’t meet specifications, it is scrapped and replaced with a new Genuine Cummins part
Any upgrades or supercessions that have taken place in the years since the original part was made will be included as part of the Cummins remanufacturing process
State-of-the-art techniques are used to achieve consistent quality in assembly

Testing – Validation testing using fail-safe processes verifies that the performance and reliability of the finished product meet Cummins standards.

reference: https://cumminseurope.com/engines/recon-engines

The big red engine manufacturer sure has a stated high standard for their reman process, so this begs the question "Why can't even they produce a quality Genuine OEM ReCon head?"
My only conclusion is that the OEM New Production is of such insufficient quality that it isn't capable of quality restoration...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz
I would say the hardest part isn't necessarily figuring out what needs to be done here, it's finding someone who can do a lasting and proper repair. Iron is one of the trickier materials to weld on correctly. Too much risk involved to have it done 'almost right'. Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. I'd have to agree with the short block idea personally.

On the other hand, I have had other engine blocks repaired with spray welding. I guess it depends most on your local talent pool and the condition of the block.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
(08-15-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  Sounds like a short-block would be cheaper in the end. You could always pull out the liners and raise them to 0.014".

had to get a new recon short block couldn't wait for the other one to get done thinking about keeping the old one and building a big motor is the reason Im asking the question line bore new crank new head and all the other stuff that goes with it along with 14 thousandth liner protrusion min. and a tune cm570 by the way
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.