tag axle ABS problem
08-15-2017, (Subject: tag axle ABS problem ) 
tag axle ABS problem
I have a kenworth T-800 with a steerable tag that has ABS on it. The tag is wore out so i'm replacing it with a non steer because my state doesn't require a steerable tag and it's just less moving parts and stuff to fix. The problem is, non steer tag's don't have ABS but my truck came from the factory wired for one so If the sensors on the tag wheels don't see whatever it is they are looking at, the ABS light in the dash comes on. D.O.T. is on us like white on rice over these ABS lights recently so I can't really just let the light stay on, and kenworth told me there is absolutely nothing they can do about it because it's impossible for them to change the parameters for the ABS. I already bought the axle and had it shipped here today( before I knew any of this) so .......... Any idea's ???
replyreply
08-16-2017, (Subject: tag axle ABS problem ) 
RE: tag axle ABS problem
I could be off base here but I believe the abs module is a learning unit. For example, if you were to clear its configuration it will communicate with any sensors and modules still connected to the system and relearn the configuration. So if that's correct it's as simple as clearing it's learned modules and letting it relearn the system minus your tag axle sensors.
replyreply
(08-16-2017 )Nilao Wrote:  I could be off base here but I believe the abs module is a learning unit. For example, if you were to clear its configuration it will communicate with any sensors and modules still connected to the system and relearn the configuration. So if that's correct it's as simple as clearing it's learned modules and letting it relearn the system minus your tag axle sensors.

According to Kenworth that's not the case
replyreply
(08-15-2017 )tree98 Wrote:  I have a kenworth T-800 with a steerable tag that has ABS on it. The tag is wore out so i'm replacing it with a non steer because my state doesn't require a steerable tag and it's just less moving parts and stuff to fix. The problem is, non steer tag's don't have ABS but my truck came from the factory wired for one so If the sensors on the tag wheels don't see whatever it is they are looking at, the ABS light in the dash comes on. D.O.T. is on us like white on rice over these ABS lights recently so I can't really just let the light stay on, and kenworth told me there is absolutely nothing they can do about it because it's impossible for them to change the parameters for the ABS. I already bought the axle and had it shipped here today( before I knew any of this) so .......... Any idea's ???

I just went through this with a 2000 model truck with a wabco frame mount abs module. Wabco told me it could be reconfigured. I bought one from eBay, wrong configuration, but I didn't know what 6s/6m etc stood for I just bought by part number. Long story short my new abs module had ACTIVE faults for the two modules that weren't there. Went to get it reconfigured, well it couldn't be re-written; which blew me away:

After many calls with wabco tech, I eventually sourced a new one that was configured right for my sensor/module setup: I have a almost new 6s/6m wabco frame mount I could sell for next to nothing if that's the one you need
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
We have trailers with lift axles, non steerable with abs and some of them have issues when the axles are lifted. The mechanics rewired them and attached the lift axle abs wires to the abs sensors on the normal axle that doesn't lift. All axles abs read from the one axle now.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , tree98
(08-16-2017 )Brock Wrote:  We have trailers with lift axles, non steerable with abs and some of them have issues when the axles are lifted. The mechanics rewired them and attached the lift axle abs wires to the abs sensors on the normal axle that doesn't lift. All axles abs read from the one axle now.

That's a damn good idea. I'll try that first hopefully that will do it.
replyreply
08-17-2017, (Subject: tag axle ABS problem ) 
Don't all hubs now a days have the abs ring in them. Look at the new hubs if they do just cut the sensor bracket and weld it to the new one. Well that's my thinking
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.