Horton fan clutch quality
08-20-2017, (Subject: Horton fan clutch quality ) 
Horton fan clutch quality
So right now it's looking like I need to rebuild my fan clutch again as it's very slow to engage and even then I don't think it's fully engaged. My first one came assembled with a damaged o ring and right now I'm on the rebuild from that, this spans about 6 months. I've checked the solenoid and it's functioning properly but I'm still going to replace it just in case it's having some intermittent sticking issues and it's been along for the ride the last 715k miles.

So with that information and whatever personal experience, is anyone else having issues with Horton brand fan clutches and could you recommend a different brand?

2014 peterbilt 389 isx cm2350.
replyreply
RE: Horton fan clutch quality
Mines a borg warner kysor. Had the truck for 2 years and it's just now fining me an issue with a failed air seal. How long it was on here before I purchased the truck? Who knows... could be oem for all I know. I have 760k miles on mine.
replyreply
(08-20-2017 )Nilao Wrote:  Mines a borg warner kysor. Had the truck for 2 years and it's just now fining me an issue with a failed air seal. How long it was on here before I purchased the truck? Who knows... could be oem for all I know. I have 760k miles on mine.

Probably is, that's about a typical lifespan.
I believe Horton is the "standard" from Cummins, but that doesn't mean anything, when you spec a truck you can choose whatever you prefer.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
(08-20-2017 )Rounded_nut Wrote:  So right now it's looking like I need to rebuild my fan clutch again as it's very slow to engage and even then I don't think it's fully engaged. My first one came assembled with a damaged o ring and right now I'm on the rebuild from that, this spans about 6 months. I've checked the solenoid and it's functioning properly but I'm still going to replace it just in case it's having some intermittent sticking issues and it's been along for the ride the last 715k miles.

So with that information and whatever personal experience, is anyone else having issues with Horton brand fan clutches and could you recommend a different brand?

2014 peterbilt 389 isx cm2350.
If it's slow to engage check your air line from fan to solenoid for blockage. You should hear a quick release of air at the solenoid
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rounded_nut
I have a Borg Warner (bad seal, always engaged)on my 2250 that I replaced at 530K. The friction material and the hub/bearings looked good, so I'll buy the re-build kit for it and have a spare.
replyreply
I can order one online $200 cheaper than I can buy it at a stealership but I figure I'll save $400 in fuel if I just go ahead and buy it now...if the stealership has one in stock.
replyreply
Tip, find a nice thick chunk of cardboard and work it in between the fan and the rad before you begin taking it apart. This will prevent damage from fan abraision while removing, as most people don't dump the coolant and tilt the rad ahead to increase the clearance...

R&Ring the hub is very much a parking lot job for a guy of your mechanical ability. Replacing the seal kit I can't tell you, I've never had a B/W hub. I've had Hortons that were easy, and one I gave up on...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , big_roy
Well checked the hose over and no obstructions, a gentle breath made it through. After looking at it again though the clutch material is toasted as I can spin the fan by hand with no almost no resistance compared to disengaged. At this point I'd say the solenoid is functioning properly but for the price and peace of mind it's being replaced and I'll be gaining a spare. I'll have to call the stealer tomorrow and see if they'll warranty it, but most likely I'll be replacing the hub for the borg warner.

The seal kit could be done in the parking lot, but boy are those of rings small and easy to lose on a bench!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.