Cm2350 coolant in fuel system??
08-20-2017, (Subject: Cm2350 coolant in fuel system?? ) 
Cm2350 coolant in fuel system??
Got a buddy with a cm2350 that says he has coolant in the fuel system. Mechanic said he has to take off head to fix this. What is he talking about? Injector cups? Also what causes this and how can you prevent it?
replyreply
RE: Cm2350 coolant in fuel system??
Check your fuel water separator if it is coolant cooled, I've had a seal inside mine begin to fail and it would start pushing coolant into the fuel. Drain it into a small bowl and swish it around and you'll be able to see coolant if this indeed is the issue or not.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
I will let him know before they start tearing into it
replyreply
(08-20-2017 )jimeneztrans84 Wrote:  I will let him know before they start tearing into it
For sure! A bad fuel water separator is alot cheaper than a head replacement.. If they aren't 100% sure pressure test the cooling system.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: trucklogger2
08-21-2017, (Subject: Cm2350 coolant in fuel system?? ) 
(08-20-2017 )marek4792 Wrote:  For sure! A bad fuel water separator is alot cheaper than a head replacement.. If they aren't 100% sure pressure test the cooling system.
Damn straight skippy! I'd be pressure testing and inspecting to make sure before popping the head! Hell, I'd even buy some testing equipment if I needed to confirm first.
I recently had to do a little investigating of my own and was beginning to think I might have to pull the head. Out of curiosity I asked how long it would take while picking up parts at Cummins, Laura printed and gave a standard copy of a head gasket quote...38hrs!
If he's not doing the job himself, they had best prove that's what needs to be done, not just speculating, especially if it's not a warranty job!

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Waterloo
(08-21-2017 )Hammerhead Wrote:  
(08-20-2017 )marek4792 Wrote:  For sure! A bad fuel water separator is alot cheaper than a head replacement.. If they aren't 100% sure pressure test the cooling system.
Damn straight skippy! I'd be pressure testing and inspecting to make sure before popping the head! Hell, I'd even buy some testing equipment if I needed to confirm first.
I recently had to do a little investigating of my own and was beginning to think I might have to pull the head. Out of curiosity I asked how long it would take while picking up parts at Cummins, Laura printed and gave a standard copy of a head gasket quote...38hrs!
If he's not doing the job himself, they had best prove that's what needs to be done, not just speculating, especially if it's not a warranty job!

38 hours for a head job, wow and double wow. If coolant leaks into the fuel from within the head its usually the upper injector seal thats leaking and Cummins has a new tool out to repair that without pulling or replacing the head. Involves installing a sealing ring inside the bore which repairs the leak by rolling the cup tighter into the head. The ring stays in place after install. Even if the head needs to be replaced 38 hours is outrageous. Hopefully someone who needs to do a repair like this has other options than Cummins.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Waterloo
(08-21-2017 )Starlight Wrote:  38 hours for a head job, wow and double wow. If coolant leaks into the fuel from within the head its usually the upper injector seal thats leaking and Cummins has a new tool out to repair that without pulling or replacing the head. Involves installing a sealing ring inside the bore which repairs the leak by rolling the cup tighter into the head. The ring stays in place after install. Even if the head needs to be replaced 38 hours is outrageous. Hopefully someone who needs to do a repair like this has other options than Cummins.

I agree that it's ridiculous, but I've personally never pulled an ISX head so that's why I asked just to get a baseline of what I was looking at. I was floored at that kind of book time. That's right from CWC Edmonton, when Laura handed me the quote she said they had an opening and do I want to book it in? Uh no thanks, I just wanted to know how long it was going to take me...
I asked Rawze and he's said a couple days should do it.
For comparison Starlight, what kind of hours would you say?

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
Both cummins dealers in my town qoute 24 hours to re and re an isx head and thats high as well. Actaul time is right around 18 hours and thats using only hand tools to assemble.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead
the new cummins cup sealing tool doesnt work well. bout a 50% success rate here as of late. if it truly is a cup do it right or you will be on the side of the road somewhere.

my 0.02C
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead , Rawze , mmssvv , Brock

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.