Volvo D16
08-22-2017, (Subject: Volvo D16 ) 
Volvo D16
Hello everyone,i need some help , i have a volvo d16 that i am working on at the moment,i having problems with the timing, there is no timing mark on the flywheel,is there a method i could use to find the exact TDC position,i have tried by inserting a fine rod in number 1 cylinder and turning the engine to bring up no 1 piston,i did the cam timing and and every thing else,when i start the engine i am getting a pinging sound,how could i know if i am tdc,when the piston stop moving or when the piston about to move down when turning the engine manually which one is correct,

thanks
replyreply
08-22-2017, (Subject: Volvo D16 ) 
RE: Volvo D16
Don't know about Volvo, maybe someone can chime in,.. but the ISX enignes all use a locking pin and wedge kit for the mechanical timing alignment and they are not at TDC when you use it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
08-23-2017, (Subject: Volvo D16 ) 
RE: Volvo D16
The camshaft has TDC marking etched into the camshaft that lines up with a mark on the front bearing cap. You may need to remove the gear to see this mark.
The Flywheel has a TDC 0 mark.
Once it is assembled there is a procedure to check timing

To ensure that the camshaft is correctly installed, complete a valve lift check on the
intake valves of cylinder No. 1.
 Temporarily adjust the No. 1 inlet rocker arm, at the valve yoke, to zero lash.
 Position a dial indicator at the inlet valve yoke for the No. 1 cylinder.
 Preload the dial indicator and reset the dial to align with zero.
 Turn the engine in the normal direction of engine rotation one full rotation to “0”
and past to the mark 6 degrees (after TDC) on the flywheel.
 The dial indicator travel reading should be approximately 1.4 ±0.03 mm (0.05 ±0.01 inch). This reading indicates a correctly timed camshaft.
 Readjust the cylinder No. 1 inlet valves and yoke.

The mark has to be there. The mark will be a line with 0TC stamped into the edge of the flywheel. When at TDC it's going to be at the top of the bell housing behind the head.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Brock , JMBT

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.