2012 kw t660 issues
03-16-2016, (Subject: 2012 kw t660 issues ) 
2012 kw t660 issues
i have just taken delivery on a new to me t660 with a def cummins engine with 450k miles on it. while it was at the dealer it kept having issues as if it were running out of fuel. no throttle pedal, skipping, sputtering, etc so i kept making them try to fix it. well after a month they had supposedly gone thru the fuel system, checked pressures and all was clean and well, then they thought the turbo was bad so put on a new turbo then finally it gave a code on the test drive and they discovered the egr valve was stuck and the egr cooler was leaking. replaced both of them. did a forced regen and then checked the flow pressure and it was .5 so the filter was definitely clean and no exhaust flow problems. i took delivery then on the 29th. truck has been from atlanta to dallas to elpaso back to atlanta over to chattanooga out to stockton, ca and back to baton rouge, la. driver has appt to unload in pensacola in the morning and goes out gets in the truck and drives 2 miles and hits a bump in the road and the truck starts skipping and sputtering again. he cut it off for about 15 minutes and now it is going down the road just fine. i am thinking an electrical issue such as loose connection or broke computer wire somewhere. it doesn't give any codes at all when it acts up. any and all ideas ya'll have would be greatly appreciated. thanks
replyreply
03-16-2016, (Subject: 2012 kw t660 issues ) 
RE: 2012 kw t660 issues
(03-16-2016 )FSCOTT1520 Wrote:  i have just taken delivery on a new to me t660 with a def cummins engine with 450k miles on it. while it was at the dealer it kept having issues as if it were running out of fuel. no throttle pedal, skipping, sputtering, etc so i kept making them try to fix it. well after a month they had supposedly gone thru the fuel system, checked pressures and all was clean and well, then they thought the turbo was bad so put on a new turbo then finally it gave a code on the test drive and they discovered the egr valve was stuck and the egr cooler was leaking. replaced both of them. did a forced regen and then checked the flow pressure and it was .5 so the filter was definitely clean and no exhaust flow problems. i took delivery then on the 29th. truck has been from atlanta to dallas to elpaso back to atlanta over to chattanooga out to stockton, ca and back to baton rouge, la. driver has appt to unload in pensacola in the morning and goes out gets in the truck and drives 2 miles and hits a bump in the road and the truck starts skipping and sputtering again. he cut it off for about 15 minutes and now it is going down the road just fine. i am thinking an electrical issue such as loose connection or broke computer wire somewhere. it doesn't give any codes at all when it acts up. any and all ideas ya'll have would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Sounds like you may have a loose connector somewhere on the ECM
replyreply
03-17-2016, (Subject: 2012 kw t660 issues ) 
RE: 2012 kw t660 issues
Like RT stated, sounds like a lose wire or connection going to/from/at the ECM. Check the wires going in to the ECM and follow the harness back to look for possible causes. I know that what you are describing is common on older trucks, but worth taking a look at just the same. Then head to the battery box, check the battery connections and check for any lose of frayed wires there to start and then work towards ECM. Make sure the batteries are also secured down properly and not bouncing around in the box. Also check the grounds at the engine block and frame and the main power cables. You would have passed out seeing what the factory called cabling on my ProStar, I am surprised mine even ran it was that bad. The main starter cable had 10 inches of bare copper cabling exposed, no jacket at all. The rest of the factory cabling was in the same condition, both power and grounds, I had to replace it ALL. I have never seen anything like it. The truck went 700,000 miles like that and I was the first to catch it after I bought the truck.

One other thing too, I know that if voltage drops to I think around 10 or 11 volts off the alternator, that it will or can shut down the truck as the ECM needs a certain amount of continuous voltage to operate.

Another thing, there should be a cab or body controller in the cab of the truck somewhere, I don't know if that can cause an engine to do as you describe, but that would be another area I would check too for pinched or lose wiring. My body controller is located in the left hand floor kick panel of my ProStar and is really squeezed in there.

Hope that helps!
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.