Cm871 code 2637 and 4214
08-25-2017, (Subject: Cm871 code 2637 and 4214 ) 
Cm871 code 2637 and 4214
Tonight my check engine light came on. I got 700k on this motor. She use only 1 gallon of oil between 15k services and no coolant loss. She was doing a rolling rege @ 70mph in ohio tonight and 30mins late I stopped for a coffee break and boom check engine light with these 2 codes. @Rawze what do I need to do to clear these codes out? I don't have insight yet. I did the egr tune up and everything runs great, fuel mpg is great. Truck runs great still with these codes. I'm lost here. I read in this forum that it's a crybaby code. I just had it in the shop for a new egr valve and the dpf was cleaned and passed great. Even had the ecm updated to the newest program cause one of the temps was low on the regen. It seems like every month it's always something with this thing. Previous owner replaced every from egr cooler to turbo, sensors ect. Any info would be great. And also where would be a good shop to go to here in eastern ohio canton/Cleveland to get these codes off and force a regen. The regen button on the dash is in the on position at all times. I never have to do a parked regen un less I idle all night when it's 100deg out then I manually use the switch to regen it before I roll out.
replyreply
RE: Cm871 code 2637 and 4214
At some point in the engines life, no matter what you do, you will not keep that system happy. 700k is commendable to still have that system in place, but at some point you need to ask yourself when is enough suffering going to happen before you take it to Mr. Hag, Unilevers, or Gearhead and have the problem solved permanently? -- That or start replacing injectors and a lot of other components / possibly an in-frame it to try to make it happy again, but even that has no guarantee.

Those CM871's are the absolute best engines that cummins has ever made so far. -- that is,.. when you get rid of those problems once in for all, but until then,.. They eat themselves alive and are nothing but emissions system headaches.

Hopefully, it has lived most of its live with a bypass filter on it to reduce the soot levels and save the internals,... but most people don't bother and/or are too cheap/lazy to install them until all the damage has already already done. If yours don't have one, I feel sorry for your engine.

By the way,.. just because the oil is not going out of the engine at a fast rate does not mean it is not worn out. the crank case filter catches most of the oil from blo-by and it will fool you big time. - I have seen engines with more than a million miles on them go form 0 oil consumption to using a gallon every thousand miles simply because someone relieved all the back-pressure problems in the exhaust and drilled out the crank case filter, it suddenly revealing the actual wear in the engine.

=================

You own a truck where 60% of the engine is a computer, yet you have no way of working on it because you have not bothered to get yourself a copy of Insite to keep after it with. Personally, I would have gotten that software the same day I purchased the truck. It would have saved you thousands and thousands by now. -- Not having the tools and equipment to maintain and operate your equipment in cost a effective manner is simply bad business planning if you ask me.

=================

Have you done an injector leak test on it?

Do you have a bypass filter on it?

What are your oil samples looking like? -- Soot levels?

What are the blo-by levels?

Boost and pyro readings?

Did you ensure it has the correct program in it? -- You said it was upgraded,.. but many times someone will put the wrong program in one to ehemm--- "up the hp" and that in itself many times will contribute towards emissions system issues too.

========

Get Insite.

Get that thing down to Mr. Hag in atlanta and get it taken care of once in for all.

Hope that when all the problems are revealed,.. that it does not result in an inframe, because its comming. --- Very very few CM871's make it past about 900k miles max before an inframe.

=====

You have the best model of the best brand of engine made since 2007, but it will only ever be that way if you take the steps to make it that way. From the factory THEY ABSOLUTELY SUCK OTHERWISE!>.... You keep driving it like that and letting it fall apart around you, all you will accomplish is that you will be chasing the tail of the dragon that is does nothign but eat its asse alive. No one can tell you to get rid of that mandate, you have to decide that, but I can say that it is absolutely shameful not to, especially in that model engine, knowing that very system it the thing that has put most owner-operators out of business.

Performing EGR tune-ups works great when the engine is not very old and worn down yet,.. but nothing helps after the engine has suffered several hundreds of thousands of miles of that soot eating, exhaust restrictive crap system on it. That tune-up is great, and if it gets you going,.. even better, but Keep chasing it in a worn down engine and you will find yourself in the poor house in doing so.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Bigstank , Waterloo
I already talked to mr.Hag on a demandate. Only problem is when I bought the truck in may, it came with a 2yr 250k full warranty on the motor only (not emissions or drive line) I'm kinda screwed. I believe the engine was rebuilt already but I got no documentation from the dealership
replyreply
Screw that warranty! Get that truck down to Mr Hagg ASAP! Ask anyone here on my travails with my CM-871. I had around the same mileage, it was eating me ALIVE financially. Every damn week it was something else, all due to the emissions. I discovered Rawze, but it was to late, my head was already toast. I took care of the mandate in my driveway, and discovered the real damage. It sounds like you have not gotten there yet, get rid of the mandate NOW!

I nursed my truck for a year with the bad head, after ridding myself of the mandate. Then it got to the point I was blowing heater hoses and then I blew apart the radiator from the internal coolant pressure from the bad head. I wound up at my local International dealer and had them go through everything, if it comes off, replace it with new, including the head. $39,000 later, I have a well running machine. Don't go where I went, fix that mandate now. Don't be a damn fool.

I had much help from the site, these guys know what they are talking about, especially Rawze. My truck is getting ready to turn 1,000,000 miles, and I expect to get that much more out of this truck. It is running that good. Knock on wood.

;-)
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Bigstank
(08-25-2017 )Bigstank Wrote:  ...
it came with a 2yr 250k full warranty on the motor only (not emissions or drive line) I'm kinda screwed.

No your not. Inspect the overhead cams and if they are in good decent shape, then it is likely that so is the rest of the engine. After that, THROW THAT PAPERWORK IN THE TRASH CAN!!! -- BECAUSE IT IS USELESS OTHERWISE!

IN FACT -- YOU WOULD BE HARD PRESSED TO GET THEM TO PAY FOR EVEN A NEW OVERHEAD CAM!! -- IT IS RARE FOR ANY WARRANTY COMPANY TO DO SUCH THINGS ON AN OLD ENGINE! -- IT IS A MONEY SUCKING SCAM!!! Where in the fine print it always states something like "we don't cover parts for abnormal wear and abuse"... then every time there is a claim they say "That is not normal wear!", then deny your claims. I have seen it more than a dozen times alone for people that have come here over the years and I point out real problems to. they try to get those problems fixed and get denied every time!

AND - If someone in-framed it or did a partial, and did a s$itty job --- THE WARRANTY COMPANY WILL REFUSE TO PAY FOR THOSE REPAIRS TOO and tell you to take it back to the guys who did the work and complain to them.

You are hanging onto a hope and a prayer from a god that does not like you!. All it is going to do for you is hold you back in fear with a false sense of security.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Bigstank
Rawze is correct, I know a few guys that had these warranties, good luck getting them to cover anything. I was offered one when I purchased my truck $$$$$. I actually spent the time to read the fine print... These warranties are a scam.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Bigstank
When you cummins king speak I listen. Time to make an appt with Mr.Hag. I'm just gonna stop @ KW and have them clear the 2 codes and force a regen. Then I'll get her down south to him!! Thanks guys
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(08-25-2017 )Bigstank Wrote:  When you cummins king speak I listen. Time to make an appt with Mr.Hag. I'm just gonna stop @ KW and have them clear the 2 codes and force a regen. Then I'll get her down south to him!! Thanks guys

If your that much in fear of something being wrong, then have Mr. Hag do a thorough pressure test done on the coolant system and drive it to check for a leaky head/gasket. Have them inspect the overhead cams and take a good look at the engine BEFORE you de-mandate it. Have them do an injector leak test with the glass of water too. Any leaking? -- Make a warranty claim for failing injectors!.

Have them Pressure-test the entire engine and CAC. Make sure there is no warranty claimable items like a cracked CAC or other leaky components.

I highly doubt you get anywhere with any claims but if it bothers you that much and you think it has merit,.. Then have them go through the engine and truck first.

That would be the wise thing to do, so that if there is something you want to try to make a claim over, you can.

Actually, you should have done all those things the day you purchased the truck.

I.E> -- Make sure the truck and engine are in good shape BEFORE you make such drastic changes because those kinds of changes are not any kind of miracle fix for other problems.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
Smart move! Hopefully everything is solid in the motor, especially the head. The fun part is what is coming, a solid well running motor! The difference will be night and day... And the best part, you should never ever see that dam red CEL ever again. I haven't seen mine in what, 3 years? It is a very good feeling.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.