Rocker arm inconsistent oil flow
08-26-2017, (Subject: Rocker arm inconsistent oil flow ) 
Rocker arm inconsistent oil flow
So I just did the first overhead that I know for sure was done, appx 100k on reman cm2350. The clearance is listed below. After doing all the valves I fired up the engine sans valve cover, and that's when I saw number 5 intake rocker not flowing oil like the others (#6 seemed light). Exhaust rockers just fine. I shut down and barred the engine into position to triple check the clearance, all just fine and set at 0.35 & 0.68 mm int/exh. Thoughts? I'll attach a picture.

In millimeters
Int. 0.55
Exh. 0.25

Int. 0.53
Exh.0.18

Int.0.52
Exh0.20

Int.0.04
Exh.0.03

Int,0.50
Exh.0.23

Int.0.08
Exh.0.43

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
RE: Rocker arm inconsistent oil flow
To add more information, upon another inspection the cam is getting more lube on the #5 position, kinda makes me think the rocker arm is toast?
replyreply
Pull the rockers and shaft, clean all passages with brake cleaner and compressed air. The shafts and rocker arm passages will get sludged up and reduce oil flow. That's a lot of the reason for cam failures
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , rrod
(08-26-2017 )Emeryville64 Wrote:  Pull the rockers and shaft, clean all passages with brake cleaner and compressed air. The shafts and rocker arm passages will get sludged up and reduce oil flow. That's a lot of the reason for cam failures

And get a bypass filter on that engine asap!

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
08-27-2017, (Subject: Rocker arm inconsistent oil flow ) 
Some guys will adjust the intake rockers to 0.015" instead of 0.014" for better oil flow.

It could be clogged passageways like the others mentioned.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
My engine was the same low oil flow so I remove al the rockers and clean everything with compressed air and gasoline. It was like grease in there took five gallons of gasoline to clean the hole head rockers and shafts after that oil flow real good
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , BobsYourUncle
(08-27-2017 )gatow900 Wrote:  My engine was the same low oil flow so I remove al the rockers and clean everything with compressed air and gasoline. It was like grease in there took five gallons of gasoline to clean the hole head rockers and shafts after that oil flow real good

Those guys who run synthetic + bypass filter + extended oil changes always have this kind of issue with them. All those guys who run their ISX's like that complain over and over "Why does my overhead cam keep getting chewed up?"

I know of 2 people personally who keep running their engines like that, one of which is running the amsoil syn + extended, who has gone through 3 cams in less than 700k miles!. The guy lives down the street from, and has been completely brainwashed by that crack-pot salesman who hangs out and sells the s$it at Jubits truck-stop. The other guy had just eaten through his second cam in 600k miles (not the first one,.. but the second one) now, and has to put a 3rd in too. - I tell him the same damn thing! and I get the same damn response --- "That can't be it" -- Yet all the evidence points clearly towards it!.

-- First,.. I tell them that if what they are doing is superior,.. The engine would never wear out because mine, and about 1,000 other trucks I have seen running REGULAR OIL do not have that issue, yet 80% of EVERY TRUCK I HAVE SEEN where someone is using syn+extending oil changes --- HAS THIS PROBLEM!.

You tell them to stop running that synthetic + extending their oil changes, and that it costs them more in replacement cams that the few bucks they save on oil changes,.. and they will only still ---> argue back and tell you that you are full of it.

--- All I can say is ---

"WOW THE POWER OF BRAINWASHED MARKETING THESE DAYS!."

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead , gatow900 , Waterloo , BobsYourUncle , rrod
(08-27-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  Some guys will adjust the intake rockers to 0.015" instead of 0.014" for better oil flow.

Would that really last though? That small of a change should be taken up in a couple months from regular wear wouldn't it?
replyreply
(08-27-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  Some guys will adjust the intake rockers to 0.015" instead of 0.014" for better oil flow.

(08-27-2017 )Rounded_nut Wrote:  Would that really last though? That small of a change should be taken up in a couple months from regular wear wouldn't it?

When you do your own overheads, there is no cost factor, so we do them regularly. I do mine annually at the longest, and I only run about 80k miles per year.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.