Rocker arm inconsistent oil flow
08-27-2017, (Subject: Rocker arm inconsistent oil flow ) 
RE: Rocker arm inconsistent oil flow
(08-27-2017 )Hammerhead Wrote:  
(08-27-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  Some guys will adjust the intake rockers to 0.015" instead of 0.014" for better oil flow.

It could be clogged passageways like the others mentioned.
(08-27-2017 )Rounded_nut Wrote:  Would that really last though? That small of a change should be taken up in a couple months from regular wear wouldn't it?

When you do your own overheads, there is no cost factor, so we do them regularly. I do mine annually at the longest, and I only run about 80k miles per year.

That's a good point, what interval do you aim for?
As a side note, I did a overhead on my apu, 5000 hours without and I swear it runs so much smoother know.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
I don't go 6 months without opening the rocker cover to inspect the top end, but I'm an OCD anal weirdo...
I check the clearances of the closed valves when I have it open. I use a 0.013 & 0.026 to check them. if I find more than 2 or 3 that I can't get the feelers in, I do it. I don't bar the motor, I just check the closed valves. That doesn't mean there is 0.002" of wear, the oil residue does take up some of the clearance. Because I run above average torque loads, I set at 0.015 & 0.028 to allow for extended thermal expansion durations...and I'm thinking of increasing that by another thou, but once again I'm a weirdo.
If you do your own, annually should be sufficient. Personally I think any individual truck owner should at the very least do annual overhead inspections, it is your livelihood after all.
If you don't do your own, time to learn how. This procedure is one every truck owner should know how to do, it, along with the inspection you make while performing it is the best mechanical indicator of engine condition.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
Well pulled the rocker shaft off, cleaned and all that jazz, as expected no gunk from extended drains because I change the oil every 12-15k miles. Reassembled and no real change. Looking at the rocker arm bearings though, well never have before so not sure what's normal. A couple pictures attached for the eyeballs of someone with more experience.
I should also add that the shaft had a date in 2013 on the end, leading me to believe that they are either original, looking like I'll need to be sure the head was done at some point as that's what I was to understand from earlier talks with him

replyreply
That bearing is polished out pretty good. It would definitely cause a bit of oil pressure drop on the circuit.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(08-27-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  That bearing is polished out pretty good. It would definitely cause a bit of oil pressure drop on the circuit.

That's what I was thinking for the reason, overall oil pressure is solid though at 40-45psi.

From your experience would you say it's worth replacing just the bearings or ?

Well I think I just answered my question, came across this thread and other than the first picture I'd say that you put pictures of my rocker bar and arms up. This sounds expensive.
replyreply
(08-26-2017 )Rounded_nut Wrote:  ...
appx 100k on reman cm2350.

There is no way in hell that you got that much wear in the top end after only 100k. Something does not add up!.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
08-28-2017, (Subject: Rocker arm inconsistent oil flow ) 
Wow. The rockers in my 690k mile 871 looked better and it just got a cam too. I agree, something isn't right.

When I did mine I used damn near a case of cleaner, flushing out all the rocker arms, shafts and everything. Already had a bypass filter on it and have been doing oil changes regularly.

Any rocker that looks like that polished one I'd replace. They are too cheap not to compared to the havoc they can cause. Be sure to mic the shafts too. If you reinstall anything questionable you'll be back in it to fix it in no time.

I don't know if you can do just the bearings, but even if you can get them separately, that doesn't address the wear in the roller or tip.

Also set my intakes to .015 instead of .014. plenty of oil flow, and no noise from the valvetrain. I can see how it helps. I'd do it again.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
(08-27-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  
(08-26-2017 )Rounded_nut Wrote:  ...
appx 100k on reman cm2350.

There is no way in hell that you got that much wear in the top end after only 100k. Something does not add up!.

Finally was able to get a copy of the invoice, pretty much everything was replaced except the rocker assembly, fuel pump, camshaft, and 5 connecting rods that didn't break. Nice to see previous failure too, crankshaft broken at number 3 rod and #4 main, block broken.
replyreply
(08-28-2017 )Rounded_nut Wrote:  [
Finally was able to get a copy of the invoice, pretty much everything was replaced except the rocker assembly, fuel pump, camshaft, and 5 connecting rods that didn't break. Nice to see previous failure too, crankshaft broken at number 3 rod and #4 main, block broken.

What you say would scare me away from that engine in a hurry.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.