Can I get better fuel mileage
08-29-2017, (Subject: Can I get better fuel mileage ) 
Can I get better fuel mileage
2012 Pete 386 Cummins 2250 that has been demandated by Unilever.

I've put 350 miles since Unilever handiwork. Before I was getting 5.9mpg both in dash and on paper. Now I'm getting 7.8 in dash haven't had a chance to check on paper yet but can tell it by the gauge and I'm thinking it's probably more in line with 8.2.

I haul grain locally for farmers so my typical trip is go a couple miles of gravel, turn and go 4 miles then onto highway where I go about 20 miles and then usually have to drive through town to get to the elevator. Average round trip is 90 miles. I've reduced speed to 57 empty and 58 loaded. 58 loaded I'm in last gear(9) and 1250 rpm. Got super singles on trailer.

So after all the above I'm on the right track, just curious if you think I'll be able to get more out of it. I'm thinking not cause of the frequent turns. Just by doing this I'll be saving $7k a year. Thinking about running super singles on the tractor from march-november to pick up a couple tenths. Take them off for winter.

One different question if I could ask, has anyone converted their transmission? I've got a 9 speed that can be converted to 13. Cummins wants $190 for the kit. All the kit appears to be is a shifter knob, airlines, and fittings. I can get a knob off eBay for $40. If anyone has done it could you walk me through it? Thanks in advance.
replyreply
RE: Can I get better fuel mileage
There's some parts on the transmission. (Overdrive splitter box) you have to shorten driveline too. Your dealer is only telling you a small part of the story.
replyreply
I'd kill for that mileage hauling grain to the elevator. Our N-14's and cat C-12 in Kenworth T800's all come in right at 5 while working to town and back. I was hoping my ISX would get 6....you give me hope for even more at some point. My 9900i Isn't exactly an aero truck though.
replyreply
The 9 speed convertible already has all the gears. It's just a splitter valve and actuator that bolts on the back. No other mods necessary.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
Rawze is spot on with mileage increase. Slow it down to double nickels.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
(08-29-2017 )Fergie Wrote:  2012 Pete 386 Cummins 2250 that has been demandated by Unilever.

I've put 350 miles since Unilever handiwork. Before I was getting 5.9mpg both in dash and on paper. Now I'm getting 7.8 in dash haven't had a chance to check on paper yet but can tell it by the gauge and I'm thinking it's probably more in line with 8.2.

I haul grain locally for farmers so my typical trip is go a couple miles of gravel, turn and go 4 miles then onto highway where I go about 20 miles and then usually have to drive through town to get to the elevator. Average round trip is 90 miles. I've reduced speed to 57 empty and 58 loaded. 58 loaded I'm in last gear(9) and 1250 rpm. Got super singles on trailer.

So after all the above I'm on the right track, just curious if you think I'll be able to get more out of it. I'm thinking not cause of the frequent turns. Just by doing this I'll be saving $7k a year. Thinking about running super singles on the tractor from march-november to pick up a couple tenths. Take them off for winter.

One different question if I could ask, has anyone converted their transmission? I've got a 9 speed that can be converted to 13. Cummins wants $190 for the kit. All the kit appears to be is a shifter knob, airlines, and fittings. I can get a knob off eBay for $40. If anyone has done it could you walk me through it? Thanks in advance.

For the cost of change-over, I don't think that the singles are going to pay off. You could always get some decent low-pro, low-roll duals, all aluminum rims, and inflate them to 120-psi like I do and get the same gains.

As far as gearing goes, you would benefit to have it at at a higher rpm range while heavy, and a lower rpm range when empty. Converting it to a 13 would help this a lot.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , Waterloo , JMBT
(08-29-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  
(08-29-2017 )Fergie Wrote:  2012 Pete 386 Cummins 2250 that has been demandated by Unilever.

For the cost of change-over, I don't think that the singles are going to pay off. You could always get some decent low-pro, low-roll duals, all aluminum rims, and inflate them to 120-psi like I do and get the same gains.

As far as gearing goes, you would benefit to have it at at a higher rpm range while heavy, and a lower rpm range when empty. Converting it to a 13 would help this a lot.

So it would be better to run 8th gear at 1650 rpm @58 when loaded if I'm following correctly? As far as the super singles, a couple years ago a local dealership was selling used ones on rims with 90% tread. Couldn't get rid of them so for 4 tires and rims we were paying $1400. We ran them on two trailers at that time and basically bought these for replacements. I have a set or 2 laying around yet.
replyreply
I tried running 120psi and it didn't fair well, if I were mostly loaded miles it would have been fine but ibrun 50% empty and it melted the centre's off all 8 tires like crazy. I wouldn't suggest anything higher than 100 to 105 if your empty half the time.

Are you ever in the field? In mud?

Far as mpg goes, that seems real real good for such short loads.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Fergie , JMBT
(08-29-2017 )Brock Wrote:  I tried running 120psi and it didn't fair well, if I were mostly loaded miles it would have been fine but ibrun 50% empty and it melted the centre's off all 8 tires like crazy. I wouldn't suggest anything higher than 100 to 105 if your empty half the time.

Are you ever in the field? In mud?

Far as mpg goes, that seems real real good for such short loads.

I'll pull into soybean fields but I don't go into cornstalks anymore unless absolutely have to. Had a stalk flip the easy drain oil plug open one year. Luckily caught it and only lost 3 gallons. Now they can load me on road. Not much mud driving, sometimes the gravel roads get horrible but then I try to avoid them.

Put a little fuel in today, reset trip meter and was hauling 80 miles round-trip all pavement but hills. Thought this would take it down, but with all the coasting down hill and Rawze's advice in his book for going uphill I ended the day with 2 trips for 160 miles and an average of 8.5 in dash. Fuel gauge never moved. Hopefully I can now get back to making some real money.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Waterloo , DDlighttruck , Hammerhead , gatow900 , schISM , JMBT

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.