871. Air compressor
09-01-2017, (Subject: 871. Air compressor ) 
Shocked 871. Air compressor
Can someone tell me if the air compressor is going bad. It's clicking loudly while building air. When it hits 120psi and purges it stops. Thx
replyreply
RE: 871. Air compressor
Oh and also the truck holds air pressure just fine no leaks or no oil leaking from the compressor.
replyreply
I remember a few year ago we had one making a horrible ticking sound and all I did was replace the air dryer filter and she was all G. Not saying this is definety it but hope it helps.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Bigstank
Is the air compressor clicking or is the air dryer clicking? As far as the air compressor on an ISX, they have an air compressor rebuild kit. Basically a new head and gasket, runs around $500, much cheaper than a full compressor by quite a bit and will cure most issues. It is rare for the air compressor to actually fail. It happens, but again it is rare. Normally, the air compressor "knocks" or makes a "hammering" sound, and sounds like sheet, but normal. Clicking though, is normally the air dryer, they have kits to rebuild or replace with a new one.

Which model/brand truck do you have, I forget. On the ProStar, the air dryer is under the cab, so it would be easy to differentiate between the two units. I have seen some trucks where everything is right there together, the reason I ask.

But, if it is the air compressor, I would check the bolts holding the head on the compressor itself to see if any are loose. There is a tightening procedure and torque specs on Quickserve. Sounds like maybe the compressor head gasket may be the issue it it is the compressor clicking, that is where I would start.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Bigstank , barf

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.