'15 Prostar with the N13
09-01-2017, (Subject: '15 Prostar with the N13 ) 
'15 Prostar with the N13
Looking at a 15 Prostar with the N13. Anyone have firsthand experience with this engine? Good, bad or indifferent?
replyreply
RE: '15 Prostar with the N13
If it is anything like the maxxforce 13 run away. I did drive a Prostar with a Maxxforce before they went with the scr system. I mean it never broke down on me the 6 months I drove it, but when it does it is very expensive and most of the time you'll be replacing parts again in no time. They just aren't very strong motors Idk about them now since they went with the scr system. There's a reason why they go for cheap and it isn't a good one..
replyreply
(09-01-2017 )marek4792 Wrote:  If it is anything like the maxxforce 13 run away. I did drive a Prostar with a Maxxforce before they went with the scr system. I mean it never broke down on me the 6 months I drove it, but when it does it is very expensive and most of the time you'll be replacing parts again in no time. They just aren't very strong motors Idk about them now since they went with the scr system. There's a reason why they go for cheap and it isn't a good one..

The N13 is the Maxxforce 13.... Maxxforce N13.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
(09-01-2017 )Brock Wrote:  The N13 is the Maxxforce 13.... Maxxforce N13.
that's what I thought..
replyreply
Having spent many days in International dealerships over the past 4+ years, I would run. Just my opinion.
replyreply
Thanks for all the opinions guys. From what I've found the 10'-13' maxfarts were the over egr'ed boat anchors that gave navistar the black eye. The N13 looks like a winner on paper thats why I was hoping for someone who owns one to chime in. The aftertreatment system is sourced from Cummins the block is compacted graphite same as the Paccar. Not sure why they went with twin turbos but the engine brake should be at least as strong as the old accerts. Couldn't find much about the HPCRI fuel system but probably a Cummins copy. I know the non scr maxxforce was junk but if these N13's are as reliable as any other engine offered these days I'm thinking "maybe".
replyreply
Personally, having been down this nightmare of a road with unknowns, I would go for a KNOWN. And in that category is the CM-871 and the CM-870. Other than that, a glider with a Series 60. Seriously. Gambling is fun, I grew up in Las Vegas, lived there for quite a few years off and on as a kid and a young man. This is not Vegas. Vegas was FUN!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , schISM , Rawze
09-02-2017, (Subject: '15 Prostar with the N13 ) 
they are shi#t wrapped in shi#t. stay away if you want profits. that is not a CAT at all and is nothing near what a acert was, it is a yellow maxxforce with a cat logo on it.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: schISM , Waterloo , simon999 , Texasdude74
09-02-2017, (Subject: '15 Prostar with the N13 ) 
(09-01-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  Personally, having been down this nightmare of a road with unknowns, I would go for a KNOWN. And in that category is the CM-871 and the CM-870. Other than that, a glider with a Series 60. Seriously. Gambling is fun, I grew up in Las Vegas, lived there for quite a few years off and on as a kid and a young man. This is not Vegas. Vegas was FUN!

You got me Waterloo, I'm the type always looking for an angle. Yup it's nothing more than a gamble so I'll take the advice given and move on to the next truck. Already found a '10 Prostar with an 871 priced right to allow for refurbishing.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.