Oil leak fix
02-19-2016, (Subject: Oil leak fix ) 
Oil leak fix
So my cm871 appears to have a pretty good leak from gasket between flywheel housing and block. Besides a clutch, which mine is fairly new anyway, are there any other good repairs or replacements to do while everything is apart? I haven't gotten an estimate yet for the repair, prolly here something tomorrow. Also replacing valve cover gasket as it seems to not be sealing well after running the overhead. Has anyone else had to do this?
replyreply
RE: Oil leak fix
(02-19-2016 )graygoose Wrote:  So my cm871 appears to have a pretty good leak from gasket between flywheel housing and block. Besides a clutch, which mine is fairly new anyway, are there any other good repairs or replacements to do while everything is apart? I haven't gotten an estimate yet for the repair, prolly here something tomorrow. Also replacing valve cover gasket as it seems to not be sealing well after running the overhead. Has anyone else had to do this?

Ours just started with the same leak, small but noticeable. Good time to replace clutch linkage, rear main seal, input shaft seal, trans cooler and lines that are near impossible to get at with tranny in.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
(02-19-2016 )in2trux Wrote:  
(02-19-2016 )graygoose Wrote:  So my cm871 appears to have a pretty good leak from gasket between flywheel housing and block. Besides a clutch, which mine is fairly new anyway, are there any other good repairs or replacements to do while everything is apart? I haven't gotten an estimate yet for the repair, prolly here something tomorrow. Also replacing valve cover gasket as it seems to not be sealing well after running the overhead. Has anyone else had to do this?

Ours just started with the same leak, small but noticeable. Good time to replace clutch linkage, rear main seal, input shaft seal, trans cooler and lines that are near impossible to get at with tranny in.

Oh yeah Trans cooler. Rawze told me about a retro fit for that to lessen the chances of it causing a catastrophic failure.....I'll have to look into that. I think you and I have the same model truck.
replyreply
02-20-2016, (Subject: Oil leak fix ) 
Some people would replace the leaking gaskets, others would spread some Black RTV Silicone on the gasket and torque it down properly.
replyreply
As far as tranny coolers go I have installed B&M coolers on 3 trucks now and they work great. Those heat transfer tubes they install from the factory let the tranny get to warm in my opinion. I asked a owner of a tranny shop, (who by the way was a authorized Eaton shop) what a tranny and rears should run for temp, and he said no more than 100F above outside air temp. Right or wrong IDK that is what I was told. This is what I used http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-70273/overview/
replyreply
All the ones we fix here I put the detroit jelly on the new gasket. That way if the rubber seal ever fails then it will have a another wall of sealant it must get through.
replyreply
(02-20-2016 )Isx Lover Wrote:  As far as tranny coolers go I have installed B&M coolers on 3 trucks now and they work great. Those heat transfer tubes they install from the factory let the tranny get to warm in my opinion. I asked a owner of a tranny shop, (who by the way was a authorized Eaton shop) what a tranny and rears should run for temp, and he said no more than 100F above outside air temp. Right or wrong IDK that is what I was told. This is what I used http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-70273/overview/

Is that link to the same exact model/size cooler that you use? What are your temps usually?
replyreply
$1500 is the price I got to fix both my leaks. Trans cooler and anything else would be extra if I decide to replace other stuff.
replyreply
(02-20-2016 )yamajason Wrote:  
(02-20-2016 )Isx Lover Wrote:  As far as tranny coolers go I have installed B&M coolers on 3 trucks now and they work great. Those heat transfer tubes they install from the factory let the tranny get to warm in my opinion. I asked a owner of a tranny shop, (who by the way was a authorized Eaton shop) what a tranny and rears should run for temp, and he said no more than 100F above outside air temp. Right or wrong IDK that is what I was told. This is what I used http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-70273/overview/

Is that link to the same exact model/size cooler that you use? What are your temps usually?

I actually used a bigger one, here is the link http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-70274/overview/ My temp gauge starts at 150F and it would only get to 150-160 on a really hot day pulling hard. Most of the time my gauge never even reads 150. I mounted it in front of the radiator and ran 1/2 inch hyd. hoses inside frame rail. I'm going to use the one from the first link on this truck, and mount it behind the bumper, cause I would like to see a little temp. Even though the temp gauge didn't read the tranny was warm to the touch.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.