How to find shorted to high/ low source voltage ?
02-01-2018, (Subject: How to find shorted to high/ low source voltage ? ) 
How to find shorted to high/ low source voltage ?
Voltage above/ below normal or shorted to high/ low source
This is what I get on my ISX could codes
Does this mean the engine wire harness is somewhere has a cut and has a contact to the frame or another wire? I know the sensor are good since I have change them and still get the fault codes.
Where are the common spots that the wiring might go bad or cut on engine or truck?
Many thanks in advance
replyreply
RE: How to find shorted to high/ low source voltage ?
Some sensors when they are unplugged will report as "high" out of range. Others will report as being "low" out of range. This is because some sensor circuits in the ECM have a resistor on the pin to "pull up" the voltage if it is unplugged, while others have a resistor to "pull down" the voltage to ground. Understanding this is the first step for any given sensor.

When the sensor is NOT giving any kind of fault, if you unplug it, which code does it throw?. Shorted "high" or shorted "low"?. - Knowing which fault occurs when it is simply unplugged will tell you if it is seeing a broken wire or not. If the sensor if throwing the same exact code when it acts up than it does when it is unplugged, then is is a good bet that perhaps the wire has a break or corrosion in it somewhere. Otherwise, if it is throwing a different code, then perhaps it is a short or moisture in a plug or harness causing it.

btw: What sernsor? What engine model? What kind of truck/year/miles, etc? and what are the conditions/history of how it acts up?

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT , Hammerhead , Chamberpains
RE: How to find shorted to high/ low source voltage ?
(02-01-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  Some sensors when they are unplugged will report as "high" out of range. Others will report as being "low" out of range. This is because some sensor circuits in the ECM have a resistor on the pin to "pull up" the voltage if it is unplugged, while others have a resistor to "pull down" the voltage to ground. Understanding this is the first step for any given sensor.

When the sensor is NOT giving any kind of fault, if you unplug it, which code does it throw?. Shorted "high" or shorted "low"?. - Knowing which fault occurs when it is simply unplugged will tell you if it is seeing a broken wire or not. If the sensor if throwing the same exact code when it acts up than it does when it is unplugged, then is is a good bet that perhaps the wire has a break or corrosion in it somewhere. Otherwise, if it is throwing a different code, then perhaps it is a short or moisture in a plug or harness causing it.

btw: What sernsor? What engine model? What kind of truck/year/miles, etc? and what are the conditions/history of how it acts up?

Excellent advise!!!

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.