New owner of KW T660 ISX15 CM2250
09-10-2017, (Subject: New owner of KW T660 ISX15 CM2250 ) 
RE: New owner of KW T660 ISX15 CM2250
Hi, I'm new to the group just started reading this post I'm looking at a t660 2011 with a isx the truck is not local. I will be flying to check it out next week thinking of seeing with my own eyes what would be the best pre purchase inspection,ps it's at a kw dealer is no warranty recommend.
replyreply
(09-10-2017 )T660isx Wrote:  Hi, I'm new to the group just started reading this post I'm looking at a t660 2011 with a isx the truck is not local. I will be flying to check it out next week thinking of seeing with my own eyes what would be the best pre purchase inspection,ps it's at a kw dealer is no warranty recommend.

That all depends on how much your buying it for, but being it is from a KW dealer,.. You are going to pay a pretty penny for it vs its age/mileage. Even with no warranty, you are mostly protected by law for the first 30 days of defects if the truck is being sold as "ready for highway use" but I would ensure it is in writing (or recorded in audio) that they will also pay for any components or repairs if you find anything wrong. things like a scarred overhead cam, or other components that will not pass an inspection including failed coolant pressure tests for coolant system, EGR cooler, and/or any other component that will allow for coolant to get into the oil like a failed head gasket, liner(s), or other internal engine problems. I would also make them agree (while being recorded in audio or in writing) that they will replace any injectors that will not pass a leakage or other inspections at their expense. Same thing goes for the transmission if damage is found within the first 30 days. Let them now you ARE going be taking covers and cover-plates off and inspecting for these types of damages, and that it would be in their best interest to satisfy you on site BEFORE the sale, and not after. -- That, or they had best come down in price by several thousands in dollars so that you can afford your own over-head cam(s) and in injectors, or in-frame if something is found to be bad.

====

I would not buy a used truck from any used truck dealer being sold "as is" claiming it is "road ready" unless I could be guaranteed, either in writing or in an audio recording -> for 30 days against ...

* Anything that would fail a full out 112 point DOT inspection like brakes, wiring, hoses chafing, tires, drive-line, etc. etc.etc. yada, yada, yada, and on that goes.

* Any problems or failure of the engine brakes, A/C, heater, and all the other cab controls, lighting, switches and accessories/systems.

* Any chafing, scarring, etching, or damage to the overhead cam(s) or other internal engine components upon inspection.

* Any problems that would negatively effect fuel mileage like a leaky CAC or weak/failing turbocharger, or intake and/or exhaust components.

* Any problems that allow coolant seepage both externally, and/or internally into the engine, and/or the emissions components while being tested at 20-PSI of pressure for an extended period of up to 24-hours.

* If it is a truck that has DEF fluid(some 2011 trucks were CM2250) and has more than 400k miles on it, Covering the cost for replacing the tappets and plungers in the fuel pump as a guarantee of good faith that the fuel system is not getting ready to fail and destroy the engine.

* The costs of repairing any damage or excess wear that has happened from excess oil/soot problems like carbon packed pistons or other internal engine components.

* The costs of repairing any problems with the transmission, drive-line, rears, axles, or other major components if unusual or excess wear or damage is found that interferes with the normal operation of the truck.

* The cost of replacing any components that have suffered any excessive rust/corrosion damage like rusted out coolant pipes or heat exchangers.

* The cost(s) of any found intermittent or failing electrical wiring or component problems if they are found including wiring harnesses, the engine ECM, cab or other electronic based controllers.

====

Something along those lines? -- Just some thought, as there is likely a lot more I could think of if I were being serious about it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , Waterloo , T660isx , JMBT
Good info from Rawze, wish I would have been on this site (before joining today) when I bought my KW. She is a good truck but did cost a few nickels when I first got her from a dealer used.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: T660isx
Thanks for the feed back I guess I'll do a oil sample overnight and per purchase inspection and mandatory guarantee
replyreply
If I had to do this again, and man, what a crap shoot... From my own experience, talking to owners of newer used trucks, a few trusted mechanics and here on Rawze.com, I would be very leery of purchasing anything from a dealer that is used. That is where the problem trucks go, as the dealers are one of the few places these rolling abortions can be safely disposed of.

I have my local International dealer here in Jackson MI, they know all of my issues, they know what I did in regards to the mandate, and they know what a money pit my truck is. They did the in frame too, post mandate removal.

Jeremy the salesman occasionally lets me know of good used trucks that are for sale locally from private individuals or small companies. He knows I can fix the mandate, and he has directed me to a couple of really nice trucks, with low miles that have not been destroyed yet. These trucks have regular service records and have been taken care of by responsible owners, not these fleet trucks with 50,000 mile service schedules. Also, Jeremy is a Master Diesel Mechanic, and has helped me with issues on my truck when I have had questions fixing things myself. He is a really good guy, and I do trust him, known him for more than a few years.

I won't pull the trigger with Jeremy, but have been very tempted a few times, as my 2008 ProStar is paid for and is loaded with accessories, like the TriPac, steerable lift axle, locker, 18 spd, wet kit, factory 600hp, and everything works. I only have a few more parts to replace and some paint work and she will be pretty much new. The major work has been done.

You need a Jeremy, or a trusted mechanic that can really give the truck a look over. And don't waste your money on a warranty. My truck went tits up soon after rolling off of the dealer lot. I thought I did my due diligence too, this was before finding this site and Rawze. I was taken to the cleaners and have the stack of receipts to prove it. This ain't twenty years ago, the real problems are what you cannot see or even hear. And when they bite you in the ass, it ain't pretty and is normally very costly.

If you do go with one of these dealer trucks, first thing to do is get rid of the mandate, do not even hesitate, than you will know what you have. More than likely if there is damage, it is already done. Keeping the mandate will just mask the real internal issues until it is to late. So instead of just replacing the head, or fuel pump with the ceramic plungers, you are stuck doing an entire in frame or boat anchoring the motor when the lower end fails or you blow a rod out of the side of the block. This is not a game, unless you have a money tree in your backyard. These new trucks will bankrupt you quickly.

I have drivers ask me about buying a truck, I tell them to look for an old series 60 or ISX pre EGR, preferably with a fresh in frame. Then put the truck to work and just start replacing parts as you go. These older trucks are so less prone to catastrophic failure than a newer used truck. Trust me on that. This ProStar is my 7th truck, I never turned a wrench until I bought this truck, because I never had to. Now, my garage looks like a dealers mechanic bay. I'm down right now with a blown sleeper cab airbag, it will be here Tuesday.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , ZeroNthedark , Rawze , T660isx , Old Driver , simon999 , JMBT
09-11-2017, (Subject: New owner of KW T660 ISX15 CM2250 ) 
Knowing what I know now.. I probably wouldn't have bought my t660 with a 2250.. But I did.. At very minimum next truck purchase will have the valve cover removed, and crankcase filter. Inspecting the cams and searching for coolant. Then on to the tube that come off the egr cooler looking for any signs of moisture. I would see which fuel pump is on the motor, a 3 cylinder pump is instant fail in my book. I would bring my laptop and run all insite test before the test drive. If the dealer wouldn't allow any of this, I would run away...
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Rawze , T660isx
Squish, it is scary... These trucks are such a gamble, outright financial suicide if you choose the wrong one. Thank God I had the financial wherewithal to withstand the financial nightmare, but in the end it cost me my marriage and more importantly, my garage. Now I need to build another one. Concrete is expensive! ;-)
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , fargonaz
i don't have insite yet where is the best place to purchase with the plug in
replyreply
eBay is the place... Get the Chinese one out of Hong Kong... Around $300 - $400... Most of us use the Inline 5 reader, not the 6.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: T660isx

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.