Cummins n14
09-12-2017, (Subject: Cummins n14 ) 
Cummins n14
Asking for neighbor/customer. They had a 92 or 94 international which they rolled last year. They took cab off and got one from salvage yard, it's either a 92 or 94 whichever wasn't the year of the chassis. Hired man said it was supposed to just plug in the ecm and work. Turned out he said the plug was on the passenger side of cab. So they had the salvage yard/repair shop wire it up. Bobtail it ran fine, hooked trailer up and no power and thinks it's in a silent derate. Not sure what they have for diagnostic through Cummins but they paid $2500 for it and they didn't have the right cables to hook up to it. So they called me to bring my Chinese stuff over. Here's where it gets interesting, in the cab the plug in is only the size of something bigger than a nickel but smaller than a quarter. I've never seen one like this. Detroit's and cats are same size as what's in my new Pete with isx. Not sure if the older Cummins ran a smaller port? When then went to ecm, we found a nine pin connector but there was no slot for the middle pin so my plug wouldn't work. Next to that was a two prong that fit into one of my cables but we couldn't connect. Any tips? If it matters I'm using inline 6. One thought i was wondering if they cut the nine pin connector off and put newer style on so our cables would work.
replyreply
09-13-2017, (Subject: Cummins n14 ) 
RE: Cummins n14
Not sure if this helps you or not but one of the trucks I have is an older International that has an M11 motor in it with a very basic ECU and I have the same Inline gear you have, the M11 truck has a two wire plug (possibly like the one you described but mine is in the cab) I made a connection from the two wire plug into my inline adapter but I also had to add a 12volt power wire from the truck, I did this by adding a cigarette lighter adapter to the connection I made, you may need to add power to yours. But I can't stress enough make sure your on the correct plug and lack of power is your problem and don't short anything out!!
replyreply
I have only ever connected to one N14. This is what i had to do...

* Enable the J1708 protocol on the Insite software. It is not J1939.

* I had to find a 2-pin plug out on the engine itself and use the "weather-pack" adapter with a 3-pin to 2-pin adapter for the inline. I also had to power the inline adapter separately. I found the 2-pin connector and verified it was the right one by first checking to make sure it did not have +12 volts on it, either with the engine on or off. I did not want to short out my adapter. I also checked across the pins for about 60 -120 ohms resistance to ensure it wad a data link plug.

* When i tried it, it worked and Insite saw it just like any other truck once the keyswitch in the dash was on.

===

Maybe someone with more experience with them will chime in too.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Thanks guys, I'll call them in a bit and hopefully I can try to get hooked on this afternoon.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.