GUIDANCE
09-13-2017, (Subject: GUIDANCE ) 
GUIDANCE
O/O to O/O, have an opportunity to sell my 09 to a guy I drive for currently locally.

My truck is in very good condition, isx 15 871, has 700k plus on her and about 25k hours. I would run her to 900k then do an inframe and then roll some more. Her and I have treated each other well over the years. Not many issues besides front end work, clutch, seals, you know the wear items.

Ran for another outfit before this guy which was out a few nights then home a night back out until the weekend; which 80% of the time put me home Sat and Sun. After awhile runs got further out and missing weekends at home. No biggie but my truck only has a flat top 42" sleeper which gets a little tight at long stretches. Another thing I should had her with a 13 speed, instead of a 10 for long runs, so I had been looking to upgrade for a little comfort.

So long story short, local guy asked me come to work for him using his equipment; them decides he needs another truck and we talk business, about buying my truck, or lease on (not a lease purchase).

Here is where you guys can chime in:
I would be sad to sell her, but also gives me room for upgrade if the local business goes away, and I find myself back otr.
If he finds it tight to buy truck and I lease it to him under my company name, what would me a reasonable deal. Input welcome no matter how far out.

(I am the only one driving it, two maybe three days a week. Lets say roughly 1500 miles per month).
(This is for truck only, I still get paid/h 5 days a week).
(Fuel, tags, insurance, and for, will be his baby).

User's Signature: "KW is my choice of trucks"
replyreply
09-14-2017, (Subject: GUIDANCE ) 
RE: GUIDANCE
I own a truck with a CM871 engine in it. Nothing newer is better. keep that in mind.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , redbeard
(09-14-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  I own a truck with a CM871 engine in it. Nothing newer is better. keep that in mind.

I do as well, and this was the first thought that came into my mind.
The next thought was, "a well cared for CM871, wonder what he wants for it?"

Having the unit severed may be less painful in the long run, imho. I would have extreme difficulty selling my truck and driving it for someone else, particularly if the maintenance wasn't to my standards, it would just be easier to "let it go."
I have one friend that did this years ago, and he has said many times it was the biggest mistake he made.

So, if you want out of that truck, sell it, don't leave it attached when it's really not.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Waterloo
I know, it is a hard decision to make, I feel the same that it is not mine but I still she her daily.
And rawaze comment, I know her engine is good.
Now I just need to figure how to run under his authority, do the weekly local stuff in his trucks, but long haul in mine when it slows down local, or I grab a load for his use.
Truck monthly note payment not in equation as for as monthly fees.
Note he has agreed to cover insurance, tags, dot, and fuel, maintenance is on me; so all this being said what do you guys think is a fair cut of loads would be? I pay broker 30.00 a load, pays loaded and empty. Base it on percentage due to they vary on what direction I go.
Naturally his product would be different then above rates.
I don't want to see her sit, but would like to turn a little revenue with it while I am taking average of being home daily until after the new year or so.
This maybe getting to complicated; almost like a divorce but you choose to have super with you x one a week! What is the logic there!
Damnit should've asked for more money.

replyreply
I say, you should first decide to either drive for him or not,..

If not,.. and you want to sell him the truck,.. do so all at once,.. if you still want to sell him the truck then make him come up with the money. No wishy-washy deals and BS payments. Let em finance it through their own means. - Don't get talked into a bunch of BS,.. you will only regret it later. everyone is friends up front,.. until you see them on judge judy a year later suing each other for the same s$it your talking about there.

If you do decide to drive for them,.. KEEP YOUR TRUCK IN YOUR OWN POSSESSION and drive it! -- PERIOD!. Work out a decent O/O deal, or move on. there are thousands upon thousands of trucking companies out there looking for O/O's with their own truck already.

that is my take on it,.. i do not play around with my career and put myself in a position where i can be taken advantage of,... and it sounds just like you are getting talked into just that!.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead , Magard , redbeard , Shandro , scottydogtruck
Never loose your independence. People tell you all
Kinda of crap about what there gona do. It's been my experience that if I change my business model based on what some big shot tells me he's gona do and how it's gona be good for me..... what ever I've heard it before. Make him put his money where his mouth is. If he buys your truck out right and you go to work for him. If you own the truck. If you've depreciated the truck now you are going to give a chunck of that money to government. Keep your independence don't get in bed with some dude cause he promises the moon. Be your own guy. Play the tax games. Go make wages and give 30% of your check to government. Let em keep farming you.
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...8#pid18128

Just trying to keep you motivated to stay independent. I'm sure you worked hard to get there.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress
09-30-2017, (Subject: GUIDANCE ) 
If you have your own authority, just contract to him. I don't know if it's possible to run on his authority sometimes and your own for the rest of the time. If you're an OOIDA member, call them and talk with the guys in "compliance." They'll know.

Also, if you want to lease on to him OOIDA (compliance again) will have a sample lease contract that is basically fill-in-the-blank so that you can have a correct agreement (contract) with him.

If I still had my own authority (gave it up a few years ago) I would just treat him as a customer.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
09-30-2017, (Subject: GUIDANCE ) 
No authority just lease on to companies, him I will not lease with. So as of late I will sell out or move over has an O/O with two choices I have with known companies. Both of these I drive/drove for as an o/o or, doing slow work, sit in one of their seats and save wear tear on my truck. But thats ending because the two or on the battle field and don't farm out to each other any longer. So I will probably stay with the one who's number on my truck.
Sitting on the couch this droopy weekend pondering it over, hate to give up the girl.

replyreply
10-01-2017, (Subject: GUIDANCE ) 
I"m with Magard.
Been there done it.
Guy I was working for short time was really nice and creative how to take your money.
$50 IFTA preparation fee, averaging IFTA tax payment with another drivers lot of small fee and BS charges.
Now I do my IFTA in 30 minutes, my tax payment is $30-50 instead of 180. My insurance is down from $1500 to $800. The most thing I like I don't have to hear his whining about how business is slow and non paying customers.
Independent! Period.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Hammerhead , the missing link , hhow55

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.