Aftermarket damper
09-22-2017, (Subject: Aftermarket damper ) 
Aftermarket damper
http://shop.stsdiesel.com/Vibratech-ISX-...41-600.htm

Has anybody given one a go?
replyreply
RE: Aftermarket damper
The price is close enough to an OEM, I'd go with the OEM.

Less than 200 dollars savings, compared to the price of a new/used engine. Not worth it. IMHO
replyreply
(09-22-2017 )Tanker93 Wrote:  http://shop.stsdiesel.com/Vibratech-ISX-...41-600.htm

Has anybody given one a go?

Yes, that is the one I have.
I did have one fail, as did Camstyn. We both purchased ours from the same place within a week or so from each other and we believe they were from a bad batch.
The replacement is working fine.
There really isn't much to the design of this style of damper. It is a round weighted metal ring inside a slightly larger housing, filled with viscous fluid. The surface tension of the fluid grips the outer housing and the weighted ring and transfers the vibration energy.
If anything changes with it, I will update this forum immediately.
I do have a friend that has had one of these on his truck for several years now with no issues.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
I've got one on mine as well, I've had no issues.

Also heard of guys run these

http://www.pittsburghpower.com/store/p69...s_ISX.html

I couldn't find them on the balance masters website though and I don't know if they are just overkill or what. I remember seeing somewhere before that they even had balancers for the camshaft front gears.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
What happened to yours when it failed?

I've got one of these on my truck as well. Been on for about a year now.

I've got one of those balance masters rings sandwiched up with the Crank damper. Have no idea if it works but it's just like a centramatic wheel balancer. Suppose it couldn't hurt too much since it's already there.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
It was a manufacturing defect of some kind.
It started to knock, a solid steel type of knock only under load. It had only been on for 6 months so of course it was NOT on my consideration list and had to be put on a dyno to diagnose, since it had to have over 10psi of boost before it would do it.
It appeared to be/cause/happen at the same time as a front crank seal leak, and that was changed when the defective one was swapped, but it only seemed to be weeping so I think the majority of the oil mess was the damper fluid, but who knows.
It was sent in for warranty, but I haven't heard anything back yet. If I don't get warranty, I'll cut it open just for my own curiosity when it comes back and I'll post pics. If this happens, I'll cut both my old OEM one and the Vibratech at the same time for comparisons if anyone is interested.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , Tanker93
Thanks for the replies guys. $200 savings adds up to a lot when you're running a fleet of trucks btw redtick
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.