changing Vibe dampener 620K, advice?
09-22-2017, (Subject: changing Vibe dampener 620K, advice? ) 
changing Vibe dampener 620K, advice?
Hey guys, biting the bullet on a new OEM vibe dampener. A little late I know, (620K), but better late then never right?
Anyhow, I have a Volvo with a CM2250, and space is not abundant in the engine compartment. I have downloaded the instructions from Quickserve and they look pretty straight forward. Does anyone have any tips or tricks that worked for them? I have heard the dampener often rusts itself to the crankshaft nose. What works to get it free and what doesn’t.
Thanks in advance! I will have my new dampener on Monday. Tuesday I’ll prime and paint it. Wednesday it will go on.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
RE: changing Vibe dampener 620K, advice?
I can't help you with the room department, mine is a KW.
When you have the bolts removed, try rotating the damper on the crankshaft before trying to remove to help free it. It won't actually rotate in tight as there is a locating dowel, but it will rock which will help start to free it. Then start 2 bolts back into the threads and work it off the crank. The bolts will prevent it from dropping when it comes free, as it quite heavy and awkward. When you install the new one, lightly emery the crank to ease installing the new one. I put anti-sieze on the crank before installing the new one, I'll let you know if that helped in 5 years, lol.

Take your time, and do a good job painting it. When your red is dry, use a paint marker and mark the "A, B, C, TDC, & Insert Pin" marks in a different color, I used white. Then let that dry and clear coat the crap out of it. You'll thank yourself later when you go to do an overhead and can easily find your marks, trust me!

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , simon999 , JMBT
Did OE on a 386 Pete today. Just shy of 700k came off with ease after some PB Blaster
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
Thanks for the tips guys! Definitely going with the anti seize, as well as marking the A, B, C,...etc. The last overhead, we barely found them, hell the first overhead we barely found them. I was going to very lightly etch them with a dermel tool, but I like your paint marker and clearcoat idea better.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
09-23-2017, (Subject: changing Vibe dampener 620K, advice? ) 
I think mine was a worst case scenario...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...11#pid6311

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead , Waterloo , JMBT
(09-23-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  I think mine was a worst case scenario...

Holy crap, I had not read that one before. Yeah mine was walk in the park compared to that, and can understand the frustration you must have had.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
(09-23-2017 )Hammerhead Wrote:  
(09-23-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  I think mine was a worst case scenario...

Holy crap, I had not read that one before. Yeah mine was walk in the park compared to that, and can understand the frustration you must have had.

Yup,... Forum member 'Wildpib' showed up the last day of this debacle, and watched me swing the sledge hammer on it. -- What a nightmare!.

When we did Nilio's damper here, he destroyed his crank shaft position sensor by accident but it was nowhere near the problem that mine had.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead , the missing link , Brock , JMBT
Mine required a little bit of love. Luckily I was doing the front structure and crank seal so my dad and everything was out of the truck.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.