871 oil pan
09-22-2017, (Subject: 871 oil pan ) 
871 oil pan
So I'm noticing on the 2250s and up the oil capacity is a lot more than the 870 and 871s.
What I'm seeing if I remember correctly the 870 & 871 hold about 44qt the 2250 and up are 56qt ( I could be wrong correct me if I am)
So 44qt = 11 gallons
And 56qt = 14 gallons

Will that bigger pan fit on a 870 and 871???
If so and I hold more oil (that may or may not get dirty) can I extend my drain intervals safely?
replyreply
09-23-2017, (Subject: 871 oil pan ) 
RE: 871 oil pan
The best way to extend your drain intervals is to get BETTER FUEL MILEAGE!

Quote:If your average fuel mileage every 10,000 miles is ...

less than 5 MG -- Change your oil every 8,000 miles or so.

5 - 6 MPG -- Change your oil every 10,000 - 12,000 miles or so.

6 - 7 MPG -- Change your oil every 12,000 - 15,000 miles or so.

7 - 8 MPG -- Change your oil every 15,000 - 18,000 miles or so.

8 - 9 MPG -- Change your oil every 18,000 - 22,000 miles or so.

above 9 MPG -- Change your oil every 22,000 - 28,000 miles or so.

These recommendations are based on more than just engine wear alone. They are based on getting the most engine life vs the cost of oil changes themselves, and the fact that soot and other deposits are going to keep building up in your engine more rapidly than you can flush them out. A bypass oil filter system can extend this, but not by the claims they are making. You would be good to get an extra 8,000 - 10,000 miles on your oil before having to change it anyways. That is my experience on it, and is what I tell others that ask about these types of systems, etc.

reference...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...617#pid617

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock , Waterloo
Volvo had that as a factory option. I'm not sure if they still do or even if the 13L had it but when I bought my 2014 volvo D16 I could spec it with a larger oilpan (which I thought was awesome)

I've never been a fan of extending oil changes but I thought the higher volume of oil might help it stay clean a bit better.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
So if I get a pan that holds 3 more gallons of oil and keep my same interval I should notice in sampling that numbers are going to change. More oil less engine wear with same intervals
Longer life on component wear?.

I would assume that if I have a pan that holds 11 gallons of oil and change my oil at 15,000miles vs if I had a pan that held 22gallons wouldn't that change the interval some?

I'm only asking because I changed a oil pan because it was damaged.
replyreply
A doubling of oil sump capacity is not the same thing as the 22% you originally asked about.
Going from 11 to 14 gallon capacity is a 22% increase in volume, so you should expect a 22% reduction in ppm quantities on your analysis reports.
Theoretically a 22% extension in drains would be an equivelant...however the one thing not taken into account in this theory is that there is a 0% change in filtration capacity or capability. Filtration capabilities are at a minimum, equally as important as capacity in my opinion.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , Hetdiesel , Waterloo , Rawze
09-24-2017, (Subject: 871 oil pan ) 
I understand now no matter how clean the oil is the filters the weak link I guess so in theory if I was to double my oil capacity I would need to double the filtering also to make extended drain.

so if I add a bigger pan keep my same drain interval would could better for the engine but more cost to my oil change?
replyreply
They are going to charge you for that extra oil, especially when you are talking extra gallons. If soot is an issue in your motor, get rid of the mandate. If you have to keep the mandate due to some masochistic tendencies, I would install an Amsoil Oil by-pass filter system.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
I priced a oem pan vs aftermarket. the aftermarket one is 500 the oem one was over 1000 through a peterbilt dealer I'm going to give the other vins for the 2250 Monday see if the part numbers match for the pans
replyreply
(09-24-2017 )Waterloo Wrote:  They are going to charge you for that extra oil, especially when you are talking extra gallons. If soot is an issue in your motor, get rid of the mandate. If you have to keep the mandate due to some masochistic tendencies, I would install an Amsoil Oil by-pass filter system.

There's NO problem with soot at all in this engine just a damaged pan, the 2250s I have hold more oil so I thought put the bigger pan on if it's the same part number / price would be better fo my engine then drain intervals started going through my mind
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.