Tripac overhead
09-25-2017, (Subject: Tripac overhead ) 
Tripac overhead
...spent the day at the loves on my back changing cab air bags. Tons of fun but it's done at least. Not too easy without a small enough bottle jack but I did find another use for my chocks.

Sat there for a minute while cussing and looked over at the APU and realized that aside from whatever maintenance and repair has been done to it since I've owned the truck, not much else has likely been ever done to it.

My local thermoking is all but useless. I've had a hell of a time finding parts because the sticker with the engine model number is gone and cannot find information regarding glowplugs, setting the overhead on it, replacing the temp probe in the cab etc... Of course, their solution is 'bring it to us and let us do it' which changes into 'you are better off just buying a new unit' and 'we will take off your old functional unit free of charge but it'll cost you what we would give you as a core'...basically they want to screw me too. Not to mention parts look to be much cheaper elsewhere if you try to get away from their markup.

Any advice? If I can keep this 871 running I don't see why I couldn't do the same with the APU...

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
RE: Tripac overhead
What "kind" of motor is in it?
Mine isn't a ThermoKing, but it has a Cat, which is actually made by Perkins.
Let me know if you have this motor, and I'll send you a pic of the Dataplate with valve clearances to save for future use...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
(09-25-2017 )Hammerhead Wrote:  What "kind" of motor is in it?
Mine isn't a ThermoKing, but it has a Cat, which is actually made by Perkins.
Let me know if you have this motor, and I'll send you a pic of the Dataplate with valve clearances to save for future use...

The Tri-Pacs run a yanmar 2 cylinder diesel. I was thinking of doing the overhead in mine when I get some time. I talked to one of the mechanics at the TK dealer that I trust. He told me he has never done one, or even heard of anyone doing it. But, he said he would get the needed specs for me and how to sheet.
replyreply
(09-25-2017 )dhirocz Wrote:  ...spent the day at the loves on my back changing cab air bags. Tons of fun but it's done at least. Not too easy without a small enough bottle jack but I did find another use for my chocks.

Sat there for a minute while cussing and looked over at the APU and realized that aside from whatever maintenance and repair has been done to it since I've owned the truck, not much else has likely been ever done to it.

My local thermoking is all but useless. I've had a hell of a time finding parts because the sticker with the engine model number is gone and cannot find information regarding glowplugs, setting the overhead on it, replacing the temp probe in the cab etc... Of course, their solution is 'bring it to us and let us do it' which changes into 'you are better off just buying a new unit' and 'we will take off your old functional unit free of charge but it'll cost you what we would give you as a core'...basically they want to screw me too. Not to mention parts look to be much cheaper elsewhere if you try to get away from their markup.

Any advice? If I can keep this 871 running I don't see why I couldn't do the same with the APU...

What year is the APU, there are only three generations I believe, and the new Evolution. If you have an 871, you more than likely have the same unit I have, which was produced from 2007 to 2010 I believe. Mine is still humming along, but the AC compressor has about had it. As far as parts, I use these guys, http://www.thermobyproducts.com/TRI_PAC_s/101.htm

They source parts from the actual TK parts manufacturers and it is hard to beat their prices. The heater hoses inside of your cabinet, $90 ea at my local TK dealer, I think $7 at the link above. I needed a new radiator for mine, $155 at the link, $555 at the TK dealer. Denso fan, I paid $79, TK dealer wanted around $300.

So, if you need parts, these are the guys to contact. They don't know as much as you might expect about the APUs, so have your ducks in a row when you call for parts.

Also, I think Brock posted a TK cheat sheet not long ago in regards to the control unit inside our sleepers. If you can find it in one of the threads here, I think that may help with identifying the unit in regards to model number. What year is your truck, and do you know if the APU was installed when the truck was purchased new? That right there should lead you to the info you are searching for. Like I said, there are only a few generations, and there is not that much difference between any of them mechanically.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55
I would say the unit on my truck was installed when it was new based on the hours. My truck is a 2010. Yeah it's a yanmar 2 cyl.

Mine has a leaking A/C and is leaking from what appears to be the seam in the crankcase. If I keep it, I'll most likely need to overhaul it soon. Smokes like a chimney at startup and leaves an impressive looking pile of soot near the tailpipe on the ground!

Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
I did an o/h adjustment on my lil Perkins and was surprised at how "tight" the clearance had become. It ran much smoother after I did it.
I'm not surprised that most people never have it done, most people never have an o/h done on their big motors!

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
That's what I'm thinking. And with 12,500 hrs on it, I'd say it's due. It runs but I damn sure wouldn't call it happy.

Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
09-26-2017, (Subject: Tripac overhead ) 
I have also used thermo by products. Great prices.
I bought filters for apu and reefer as well as a couple doors and door hardware for the reefer.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.