Upgrading trans heat exchanger to an oil cooler
09-25-2017, (Subject: Upgrading trans heat exchanger to an oil cooler ) 
Upgrading trans heat exchanger to an oil cooler
It's about that time. Gotta fix 3 different things on my list at once. When it rains it pours, eh?

My stock heat exchanger is just that. Stock. And at 700k I know I'm running on borrowed time so I need to get it removed before it causes a serious fuckup.

I want to make sure I understand this right. The kit that Eaton sells comes with what is basically an external oil pump that is used to circulate that fluid through the pump...out to a regular oil cooler.

As an option, I can upgrade further by adding an oil filter boss to the case inline with the pump.

By doing this I can essentially remove the heat exchanger all together so there's no more risk of coolant in my transmission. From what I understand this also increases the torque rating of the transmission, how I do not know.

Correct me if I'm jacked up.

I'm considering buying the pump and filter housing alone and using a heavier duty and more durable cooler and stainless fittings with better quality hose. I figure with the stuff I already have that I can probably get it done cheaper as well. While I'm at it I'm going to put in a new shift tower....the old one is a little sloppy, the bushing kit didn't fix all of it.

Transmission is an RTO-16909 upgraded to 16913.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
RE: Upgrading trans heat exchanger to an oil cooler
When I did mine I used a S-1404 filter kit and it uses a Eaton 17237 filter. And I used a K-1956 cooler kit. Just disconected the oil cooker and a few new hoses now I never see over 170 degrees.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mrkentee
Mines a oil to air cooler. I see 200+ if it's over 80 degrees and I'm pulling a hill. My friend has an oil to water cooler and never goes over 180. But given my option I would prefer a little hotter oil to burn out the water and not have to worry about coolant contamination.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , hhow55 , gatow900
09-26-2017, (Subject: Upgrading trans heat exchanger to an oil cooler ) 
https://www.ebay.com/p/K-3623-Eaton-FULL.../714933820

Is this a viable option?

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
(09-26-2017 )hhow55 Wrote:  https://www.ebay.com/p/K-3623-Eaton-FULL.../714933820

Is this a viable option?

thats exactly what is wrong with them. Air cooled is more reliable.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55
Exactly. I'll be changing out mine as soon as I verify the correct part numbers with Eaton.

180-200 is the temp range I'm looking for. Oil is hot enough to do the job and cool enough to last awhile.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
(09-26-2017 )dhirocz Wrote:  Exactly. I'll be changing out mine as soon as I verify the correct part numbers with Eaton.

180-200 is the temp range I'm looking for. Oil is hot enough to do the job and cool enough to last awhile.

I have same trans. Just bought k-1956 kit to convert to air cooler. Yes, torque rating increases with air cooler. Better cooling, I guess.
I expect lower temps, and no worry about contamination.
I'm using those coolant lines for a Webasto coolant heater for cold mornings.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock
(09-26-2017 )Mrkentee Wrote:  I have same trans. Just bought k-1956 kit to convert to air cooler. Yes, torque rating increases with air cooler. Better cooling, I guess.
I expect lower temps, and no worry about contamination.
I'm using those coolant lines for a Webasto coolant heater for cold mornings.

I find the tourque rating increase interesting, because when I was spec'ing out trucks I was told any engine over a 1650 Tq rating had to be liquid cooled. Maybe that was just a Paccar thing, cause both KW & Pete said the same thing...that was back in '08.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mrkentee
That is one thing about corn binders , as far as I know they all run aircoolers . Believe me though there is a lot of things on a 9900 I would like to grab the engineer by the balls on . Lol
But I am a anal ocd prick on a lot of stuff too.

User's Signature: The missing link
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.