Upgrading trans heat exchanger to an oil cooler
10-06-2017, (Subject: Upgrading trans heat exchanger to an oil cooler ) 
RE: Upgrading trans heat exchanger to an oil cooler
Thermostat isn't a closed return, it cuts off the cooler and redirects fluid back to the trans when closed. I'd be worried about blowing the seal on the filter or a hose if it capped off the hot side like that.

Wasn't planning on a different fan. It being mounted in front the the radiator under the CAC, the engine fan can manage it. The idea is to have a fairly large unit to help it cool when it hot out and under a decent load, while being able to keep that same cooler from overcooling the fluid in the winter time. Since I would need to be able to use the truck in a variety of conditions, I'm trying to keep that in mind to keep the cooling system flexible.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead
(10-06-2017 )dhirocz Wrote:  Thermostat isn't a closed return, it cuts off the cooler and redirects fluid back to the trans when closed. I'd be worried about blowing the seal on the filter or a hose if it capped off the hot side like that.

Wasn't planning on a fan other than it being mounted in front the the radiator under the CAC. The idea is to have a fairly large unit to help it cool when it hot out and under a decent load, while being able to keep that same cooler from overcooling the fluid in the winter time. Since I would need to be able to use the truck in a variety of conditions, I'm trying to keep that in mind to keep the cooling system flexible.

I look forward to pictures and reviews!
Please keep the parts list, if it works as intended I may ask for it...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
I can do that. I have it all figured out for under $200 using some pretty decent parts. Certainly better for the $ spent than the Eaton kit.

If I need to reconfigure something it's not a big deal. Not too much invested. This is a similar rig I've used on other toys throughout the years, I just had to adapt it a little. I try to avoid adding electric auxillary fans as most of what I've done this with had large fans already, but in this case the factory fan moves a ton and isn't going anywhere.

Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
10-26-2017, (Subject: Upgrading trans heat exchanger to an oil cooler ) 
Ok, so I have these parts enroute. Hopefully I can find the time to add this in to the equation on my next 34 and get it installed.

Blew my budget a little but I splurged. Thermostat, cooler head, a double set of filtermags (cheaper to buy in pairs), and a pretty decent sized heavy duty cooler. I'm $250 in it now, will be also getting some pretty beefy hoses to hook it all up with.

I can't speak for everyone, but on my truck, the trans outlet is 1/2 NPT which transitions to 5/8 JIC. I'm keeping with this since 1/2 JIC actually has a much smaller ID than 1/2 NPT and I am not trying to stress the oil pump in the transmission. All parts I bought will accept 1/2 NPT and this will accept the correct filter for this application.

Should have some photos of it soon hopefully.

Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , Rawze , Hammerhead
11-02-2017, (Subject: Upgrading trans heat exchanger to an oil cooler ) 
This is where we are at. Got some hoses getting made for this, so I'll be installing it all this weekend.

I've got right at $400 into this thing so far, including hoses. Still cheaper than the Eaton kit and the heat exchanger.

...also fits an oem trans filter, which crosses over to some cheaper...and nicer...filters you can buy from an auto parts store.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , Rawze , gatow900 , JMBT , Toolguy
12-11-2017, (Subject: Upgrading trans heat exchanger to an oil cooler ) 
Got it installed finally. Got the chance to run up monteagle with it.

Trans temp never went over 180. Actually, during cruise with it being 30 out, it was slightly less...closer to 170. The filter was fairly hot, and the cooler fairly cold, meaning at this temperature, the cooler is hardly cooling at all, which makes sense. I look forward to seeing how it works next year when it warms up. I have it setup to run through the filter all the time by putting it before the thermostat, so it filters even if it bypasses the cooler because the fluid is under 180.

Transmission seems to shift a little better, also sounds a little quieter, though that might also have to do with the 3 quarts extra I had to add to top it off.

Good timing...the heat exchanger crumbled when I went to remove it. At least it's no longer a part of the equation.

One last note...my total investment ended up at $600, $400 in hose and fittings. I could have done it cheaper, but I decided to spring for reusable JIC fittings and some premium hose...so not only was I able to fit the hoses myself at home, they are user serviceable wherever I might be. It took 25 feet and 3 quarts to get it all done, among other things.

I'll take a couple pictures tomorrow.

Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT , Roysbigtoys , Moose , Rawze , Volvo8873 , Toolguy
12-11-2017, (Subject: Upgrading trans heat exchanger to an oil cooler ) 
Here's one of the setup. I'll clean it up some with a new bracket and a better fitting on that hose that loops around.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Toolguy

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.