Upgrading trans heat exchanger to an oil cooler
09-29-2017, (Subject: Upgrading trans heat exchanger to an oil cooler ) 
RE: Upgrading trans heat exchanger to an oil cooler
(09-29-2017 )dhirocz Wrote:  Update. Just sharing information.

Got ahold of an Eaton engineer today and played twenty questions with him. There is alot of bullshit out there so I wanted to pass on what he told me.

A 1650 tq trans is just that. An 1850 is also just that. Torque rating doesn't change due to what cooler is installed. Common misconception from what he said.

A 1650 can be upgraded to an 1850 tq trans but requires changing out the guts, meaning it's more cost effective to just buy a new transmission.

Neither a 1650 or 1850 can be upgraded to a 2050. 2050's require a new case. A 13 speed can also not be upgraded to an 18, though some people mod their 13's to split the low side...and kill their trans life in the process, since a 13 isn't made to handle splitting the low side.

The air cooler does nothing but improve fluid life therefore improve transmission life. Also gets rid of the failure prone heat exchanger. Fine with me...my trans, an rtoc-16909a up converted to a 13, already has an oil pump installed because it came with a heat exchanger. The only thing I need to do is remove the heat exchanger, remove the coolant lines or T them together, put JIC fittings in the case where the heat exchanger was, and run hoses up front to a cooler...which works for me since I have a good cooler and hose already.

Last thing he mentioned is to use the lower port which is the outlet, an put a remote filter housing on that hose, pre-cooler. I plan on doing that and snapping a filter mag on it. I should be able to do this reliably and professionally for well under $200.
How much did the adaptor cost? Where did you get it?
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Upgrading trans heat exchanger to an oil cooler - DUKE58 - 09-29-2017

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.