Swapping transmissions
10-01-2017, (Subject: Swapping transmissions ) 
Swapping transmissions
Asking for a friend! He has a 2009 Columbia with CM871 engine and 13 speed eaton fuller. He's wondering if he can swap it for auto shift tranny. Is something like that doable and if it's worth doing. I'm guessing it will not be cheap
replyreply
10-02-2017, (Subject: Swapping transmissions ) 
RE: Swapping transmissions
Not a cheap exercise but certainly achievable. The hardest part would be the OEM wiring if the truck isn't fitted with a harness that accepts either type of gearbox. Aside from that you'll need the box itself, possibly a shorter tailshaft, the shift console and any panels needed for it, the dash display and you'll want to remove the clutch pedal inc linkages/hoses/lines if you want to go to an Ultrashift.
replyreply
Wow... I wanted a 13 or 15 to replace a 10 in my t800. With core return and shaft shortening it was going to run me 5900.00 and some change ( not counting new clutch).
Did the math on fuel saving and it would have been about a 16 month pay out back in February.
Can't imagine what and auto would cost.

User's Signature: "KW is my choice of trucks"
replyreply
Just found my worksheet and reran numbers with increased fuel cost.

Now my deal was tranny was still in good condition, I just pull lots of hill from I-40 to 70 up the Midwest, east to Wichita, and 80 to Council Bluff, IA. This run is about 3k a week. Have not done it since cleaning ERG system and local work for the past two months, so I am just going off old numbers at an increase in 1.2 mpg with a new 13 or 15, if I had went this route.

Increased fuel cost as of February would have put my pay out at 11.8 months if I would have changed 1o out when I did clutch.

User's Signature: "KW is my choice of trucks"
replyreply
Automatic tranny vs a good driver and a stick W/boost and pyro gauges --- AUTOSHIFT IS A LOSS OF ABOUT 0.6 MPG ON AVERAGE!.

I don't know what kind of crack-pipe dope people are smoking when they came up with the theory of an autoshit tranny making better fuel mileage,.. but they are dead wrong when comparing it to a decent driver.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock , Waterloo
(10-02-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  Automatic tranny vs a good driver and a stick W/boost and pyro gauges --- AUTOSHIFT IS A LOSS OF ABOUT 0.6 MPG ON AVERAGE!.

I don't know what kind of crack-pipe dope people are smoking when they came up with the theory of an autoshit tranny making better fuel mileage,.. but they are dead wrong when comparing it to a decent driver.

Vs a "good driver"

There it is lol

There are times and situations where a auto is beneficial.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
I just bought a truck with an ultrashift 13 mhp. I'm still playing around with the software but "as delivered" I'm very disappointed. It revs to 1700 before it shifts and splits every gear even when bobtailing. For now I just stick it in maual mode, that lets me shift around 1400 but it kinda defeats the purpose of an "automatic".
replyreply
(10-02-2017 )schISM Wrote:  I just bought a truck with an ultrashift 13 mhp. I'm still playing around with the software but "as delivered" I'm very disappointed. It revs to 1700 before it shifts and splits every gear even when bobtailing. For now I just stick it in maual mode, that lets me shift around 1400 but it kinda defeats the purpose of an "automatic".

You can change the shift point calibration if you have Service Ranger software. Unfortunately though, you have to just do it by trial and error because in my experience, there's no explanation of the differences between all the choices.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
(10-02-2017 )schISM Wrote:  I just bought a truck with an ultrashift 13 mhp. I'm still playing around with the software but "as delivered" I'm very disappointed. It revs to 1700 before it shifts and splits every gear even when bobtailing. For now I just stick it in maual mode, that lets me shift around 1400 but it kinda defeats the purpose of an "automatic".

It's setup for super b , the company I used to work for bought a bunch . They would skip gears and shift at 1400 , climbing Rogers jumping from 5 to 7 doesn't work to good .
The drivers said you had to be under 40 km or stopped to turn traction control off or lock up .
I like my old donkey it shifts when it's told too, and no automatic bullshit on any thing . It's kinda like driving a ....... Oh yeah a truck

User's Signature: The missing link
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead , Rawze , DDlighttruck , Waterloo , gatow900

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.