Wobble in the steering
10-04-2017, (Subject: Wobble in the steering ) 
Wobble in the steering
2011 Intl prostar cm871 cummins - I get a wobble in the steering wheel as I hit highway speeds. I can get it to stop by rocking the steering wheel back and forth or stomping on the brakes real hard.

What causes this? ( Besides the obvious wheel balance or alignment problem)
replyreply
RE: Wobble in the steering
If I had a problem like that in the steering, I wouldn't be driving it unless I knew EXACTLY what it was. -- Safety first!.

Do a front end, bearing, and king pin inspection. Also do a spring suspension and bushing inspection. Make sure nothing is getting ready to let go on you and kill someone. After that, with the wheels off the ground, spin em fast and see if the tires are mounted improperly or they have flat spots in em.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: mpreiss321
Any play in the steering at a stop? When is the last time your ball joints and tie rod ends we're checked? What about your wheel bearings? Any abnormal wear on your steers?

I don't play with the front end. In my opinion, it is the most critical axle on the truck. All of my steer axle is showing varying levels of wear...I'm kind of anal, but im waiting on parts to rebuild my entire front axle. That way I know what I've got, and I'm starting from square one with it fresh. No varying levels of wear or china junk. A little bit overboard, I know...but the point is, any failure up front is grounds for a very bad, if not your last, day.

I agree with rawze. It sounds like it's at a potentially dangerous level. Please get it fixed, ASAP.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , mpreiss321 , Hammerhead
10-05-2017, (Subject: Wobble in the steering ) 
Update - Had the truck checked out, The only thing found was a loose bolt on the bottom of the right shock absorber. Mechanic said that the eyelet where the bolt threads through may be worn. Will get a better inspection when I reach CA.

Good day fellas
replyreply
I'm just going to throw in my $.02. I'm not annoyed at you, but at the repair industry in general. I've dealt with that before with a driveshaft shake.

Yes, please get a second opinion. If the truck doesn't work as designed or intended it's because something is broken, worn or faulty. Just because a mechanic says it's good doesn't mean it is, especially if it keeps acting up. It just means he wasn't good enough...or didn't care enough...to find the problem.

Remember that wrench won't be around when you get an OOS by DOT, won't pay your bills when you break down on the side of the road, and won't stand next to you in court after you loose it and nail someone.

I got out of the business many moons ago because that industry is full of crooks and wannabee's. There was a definite unwritten social expectation to not go the extra mile to save time and increase turnover, and to exaggerate to increase sales. Couple that with many who flat out don't know or care...and Stevie Wonder can see where the problem is.

I had a shop swear to me my driveshaft was fine after it shook so bad it broke off a fuel line and a fender support. Swore to me it was straight. It wasn't until I told him I wasn't an idiot and that straight driveshafts don't shake that they did what I told them and pulled the shafts to check, to find out it was 76oz out of balance.

Got the truck back and it dropped the main shaft in my driveway as I rolled into the house. They didn't replace the bolt and straps as Spicer recommends...and as I instructed. Welded on the weights wrong as well. Attempted to balance out (incorrectly) the I'm balance rather than straighten the shaft. Took them out, found a far better shop, rebuilt the shafts and now she rides like a caddy. Wasn't worth saving $350 either to loose more than that in downtime to take it back for them to do the job right that should have been right to begin with.

This was a highly recommended shop. Question is, by whom, with what standards? You never know. Obviously, not close to my standards. You would think a shop that deals with critical components like class 8 driveshafts would be very serious and go the extra mile to do it right, especially by their so called driveshaft guy. You'd think.

Question everything. If it still does it, please get another opinion.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress , Hammerhead , Rawze , Chamberpains , Signature620
dhirocz, Very well said!.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
11-02-2018, (Subject: Wobble in the steering ) 
(10-04-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  If I had a problem like that in the steering, I wouldn't be driving it unless I knew EXACTLY what it was. -- Safety first!.

Do a front end, bearing, and king pin inspection. Also do a spring suspension and bushing inspection. Make sure nothing is getting ready to let go on you and kill someone. After that, with the wheels off the ground, spin em fast and see if the tires are mounted improperly or they have flat spots in em.

Im having the same trouble today. When hit bridge joint, the truck starts shaking, wobbling real bad in front end. Had same problem several month ago, and had king pins replaced and alignment, and that took care of it until now.
ive looked for loose parts on the steer, but im not sure exactly how, what to look for. any instruction on proper procedure for checking spring suspension/bushing, front end, king pins?
replyreply
find out what brand front axle you have and you can find the service manual online.

replyreply
(11-02-2018 )eggtrucks Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 )Rawze Wrote:  If I had a problem like that in the steering, I wouldn't be driving it unless I knew EXACTLY what it was. -- Safety first!.

Im having the same trouble today. When hit bridge joint, the truck starts shaking, wobbling real bad in front end. Had same problem several month ago, and had king pins replaced and alignment, and that took care of it until now.
ive looked for loose parts on the steer, but im not sure exactly how, what to look for. any instruction on proper procedure for checking spring suspension/bushing, front end, king pins?

I would lift the front end off the ground and start poking and prodding around. See if there is any play in the steers, grab them and see if they move, side play, spin, etc. Check the boots on the tie rod ends, etc. Check the steering box and shaft to the steering wheel. That is where I would start.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.