Wobble in the steering
11-03-2018, (Subject: Wobble in the steering ) 
RE: Wobble in the steering
Ok that's exactly what I did, and everything seems tight. Not sure what to check next. Tires were trued with alignment few month ago
replyreply
(11-03-2018 )eggtrucks Wrote:  Ok that's exactly what I did, and everything seems tight. Not sure what to check next. Tires were trued with alignment few month ago

When my steering shaft, from the firewall to the steering box was going bad, it would get jumpy, or a jumpy feeling in the steering/front end when I would hit bumps at certain speeds. The steering shaft itself looked fine, it did not have any excessive play or visually bad u-joints. I replaced that shaft and that occasional front end issue went away. Is it the original shaft on there? They are only good for so many miles and do need to be replaced. With an 871, and if the original shaft, it is probably time to replace anyways.
replyreply
(11-02-2018 )eggtrucks Wrote:  Im having the same trouble today. When hit bridge joint, the truck starts shaking, wobbling real bad in front end. Had same problem several month ago, and had king pins replaced and alignment, and that took care of it until now.
ive looked for loose parts on the steer, but im not sure exactly how, what to look for. any instruction on proper procedure for checking spring suspension/bushing, front end, king pins?

If someone just can't find the trouble, they could always just use a GoPro camera and some zip-ties to record what is happening down there while driving, so they can play it back and see what is wrong. Its great for checking "bounce" and "shake" issues with the tires, axles, front end, driveshafts, rears, etc.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress
thanks for the advice. Im replacing the steering shaft from gearbox to firewall,and when i got old one off i noticed the stubby part coming out of the firewall has a lot of in/out play. not side to side, but it moves in/out at least 1/4''. Is this a normal or should that be tight?
replyreply
In and out is OK. Side or in rotation is not OK. Just like a driveshaft. Inspect your cab mounts, especially front of cab. Should not have any up down movements. Motor mounts can also be a cause, hard to inspect. This is after inspecting all other items posted here. One motor mount cause of front vibration on a Freighliner, cab mounts on a Mack, Pete and 9200i International.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
11-04-2018, (Subject: Wobble in the steering ) 
(11-03-2018 )eggtrucks Wrote:  thanks for the advice. Im replacing the steering shaft from gearbox to firewall,and when i got old one off i noticed the stubby part coming out of the firewall has a lot of in/out play. not side to side, but it moves in/out at least 1/4''. Is this a normal or should that be tight?

I don't recall any in and out movement in the shaft, other than where they join in the middle, where the shaft enters the tube. There is a spline on both ends, one on the steer box and one on the steering wheel assembly. The steering shaft has yokes on both ends that slide on to those splines, and a bolt used to secure on both ends. That in and out at the firewall doesn't sound right to me.

If the spline up near the firewall or that assembly up there is moving in and out a 1/4 inch, the entire shaft would be moving, or at least that upper tube. It should not do that. Mine doesn't move like that, unless I am losing my mind, as I'm thinking that would be a DOT violation. I just reinstalled mine, but I only removed from the steering box, not at the firewall. That top tube, where it attached at the steering wheel assembly at the firewall did not have any play in it, side to side or in and out.

You really need to inspect that further, that play may be your issue.
replyreply
What do you consider "highway" speeds. If it's 65+, you may be getting wobbles from pushing things too hard. You can get phantom or really hard to find causes of slight harmonic vibrations or wobbles at high speeds.

Another possibility that can cause strange wobbles in the steering can be if you use equal or balancers that get clumpy or stick or just come out of place temporarily. The tire temporarily goes way out of balance till it settles down or finds it's balance point again.

A 5th wheel being dry or not properly lubed can cause all kinds of steering problems and vibrations, clunks and creaks.

These are just some odd suggestions. Keep chasing the more important and possibly dangerous possibilities.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , barf
I'll keep checking these things. I've replaced the drag link and steering shaft. Didn't drive it yet to know if that took care it. It happens when I hit a bump as low as 50 mph. It's not just a vibration, it is an EXTREMEL WOBBLE, BOUNCE that does not go away till slow down to at least 35-40. Feels like the steer tire is jumping off the ground. Shakes so bad I can't see straight. What's confusing to me is that It drives like a charm until I hit a bump. No side pull, no irregular tire wear, No vibrations
replyreply
As Rawze mentioned about GO PRO. It's the best and cheapest way to find such vibrations and wobbling. keep in in mind the wobbling on the front could be from bad trailer tire or brake drum.
Here is what I did when was dealing with similar problem. Cheapest GO PRO camera with casing. Attach 4 small rare earth magnets to the casing base with QUICK STEEL epoxy putty. You can place it anywhere now and record video of wheels, drive line, engine, differentials, brakes slack adjusters. The very good option is you can hear the noise of say differential or carrier bearing.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.