CM2250 gear lube reccomendation
10-06-2017, (Subject: CM2250 gear lube reccomendation ) 
CM2250 gear lube reccomendation
Ok, I just finished re-reading Rawze's thread about gear lube. I demandated a few months back and have changed the oil 3 times in the last 30K to try and clean out all the soot from 600,000 miles of EPA ignorance. Now the oil is clean as a whistle and I will go back to 15-18K intervals. Now that the engine is cleaner inside I am ready to start adding some gear lube for the added benefits Rawze has spoke of.
Should I run a GL-4 or GL-5 since I am demandated? What viscosity 85W90? Also, do you guys running gear lube adjust the type or amount in winter vs. summer? Is there anyone out there running a Deman CM2250 that can tell me what they have found works well?
Thanks!

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
RE: CM2250 gear lube reccomendation
If I could add one question cause I'm just about in the same boat. Does brand of gear lube matter?
replyreply
Fergie, as far as brand I am planning on running the Super tech from Walmart that Rawze runs.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
I run the gl5 on my cm2250 but I'm all stock. And Sta lube brand it's like $40 a gallon at napa.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
(10-06-2017 )Fergie Wrote:  If I could add one question cause I'm just about in the same boat. Does brand of gear lube matter?

I have run both the supertech, and the sta-lube. The sta-lube GL-4 has extra protections in it for anti-oxidation and to combat the effects of sulphides on "yellow metals" like brass. The super-tech does not. -- It is up in the air as far as that goes but I have seen no ill effects of the GL5 super-tech aside from the slight undertone smell of sulphur on occasion like a hot tranny smell. My consensus would be...

If you want to be anal about it,.. the sta-lube GL-4,.. if not,.. the super-tech. Myself, i buy the sta-lube by the case when it is on sale somewhere, but the super-tech when not, or if it is convenient.

as far as winter is concerned,.. the engine temp is regulated. It is 185 in summer and in winter while its running. - this would mean it does not matter much once it is warmed up. -- On the other hand, someone who lets their truck sit every night in winter weather might be giving their starter a serious workout to get it going again. I guess it would be a matter of application.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT , rrod
10-07-2017, (Subject: CM2250 gear lube reccomendation ) 
Rawze, what weight of Super tech for an aging CM 2250?

replyreply
(10-07-2017 )JMBT Wrote:  Rawze, what weight of Super tech for an aging CM 2250?

If you think there is copper on the overhead cam bearings (more then 600k miles typically) then perhaps a gallon of 85-140 at an oil change? - To put this into perspective, the equivelent average viscosity would be 112 grade for 85-140. The gallon of white bottle additive that they sell at the oil change places is 110-grade.

On a newer engine, I would think that adding some 80-90 or 75-90 (roughly 83-85 grade) would not be as intrusive on an engine with tight tolerances, but then again, I see people dumping in the 110 junk into their brand new low mile engines like fools in hopes to "extend its life" too.

My thoughts are that you only need to start raising viscosity only as things get more and more worn out.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Thanks for the info Rawze!! I am at roughly 630k so I will be going with the thicker.

replyreply
(10-07-2017 )JMBT Wrote:  Thanks for the info Rawze!! I am at roughly 630k so I will be going with the thicker.

This is some decent info about the EP additives found in gear lubes I came across the other day.

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read...-additives

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.