CM870 VGT vs Non VGT Turbo
03-18-2016, (Subject: CM870 VGT vs Non VGT Turbo ) 
CM870 VGT vs Non VGT Turbo
I have discovered that the actuator arm on my turbo is moving but it is not changing the position in the turbo, the status is showing SD, so I've decided to put a new turbo on. I talked to the mechanic I use down here and he is making the case for putting a non VG turbo on instead of the VG because he said every engine they've tuned (deleted ) has worn out the turbo in six months. I'm thinking they may be putting a bad tune on it which is taking the turbos out.

So what is the consensus - stay with the VGT or non VGT?
replyreply
RE: CM870 VGT vs Non VGT Turbo
Consensus:
1. Replace Mechanic
2. Keep VGT
replyreply
Yamajason said it best.

I run a CM870 and the VGT turbo runs great for me. Unilevers hit it with a @m*m^2 and I'm happy.

My dumbass opinion is there are not a lot of well rounded expert mechanics. I'm sure the mechanic your referring to probably knows a great deal of information on how to solve a lot of truck problems and repairs; but I don't think he is a good source to base a turbo decision on.

Rawze had an excellent write up on the VGT before the board went down and rebooted.

Unilevers and Gearhead are probably who you need to also talk to about the CM 870 turbo in depth.
replyreply
(03-18-2016 )Bulljammer Wrote:  I have discovered that the actuator arm on my turbo is moving but it is not changing the position in the turbo, the status is showing SD, so I've decided to put a new turbo on. I talked to the mechanic I use down here and he is making the case for putting a non VG turbo on instead of the VG because he said every engine they've tuned (deleted ) has worn out the turbo in six months. I'm thinking they may be putting a bad tune on it which is taking the turbos out.

Just replaced the actuator! ISM or ISX with a good actuator runs tits up! Replace your tech!

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
(03-18-2016 )in2trux Wrote:  
(03-18-2016 )Bulljammer Wrote:  I have discovered that the actuator arm on my turbo is moving but it is not changing the position in the turbo, the status is showing SD, so I've decided to put a new turbo on. I talked to the mechanic I use down here and he is making the case for putting a non VG turbo on instead of the VG because he said every engine they've tuned (deleted ) has worn out the turbo in six months. I'm thinking they may be putting a bad tune on it which is taking the turbos out.

Just replaced the actuator! ISM or ISX with a good actuator runs tits up! Replace your tech!

Guess you miss the part where the actuator is working fine, the valve inside the turbo is not responding.:angel: The actuator was actually replaced last year and we ran Calterm on it, the actuator is responding normally.
replyreply
03-19-2016, (Subject: CM870 VGT vs Non VGT Turbo ) 
That is one seriously disturbed mechanic that has been brainwashed by bad delete companies. Only BAD DEL:ETES destroy turbochargers. I know of plenty of people who have deleted trucks with very high mileage on their turbochargers, even a few with more than a million on them. Good programming will not shorten the life of a turbo.

Well, lets see here..

* The difference between being able to control BOTH the fuel and air mixture into the engine at all RPM and torque ranges vs only being able to control the fuel is about a 2 mpg loss in efficiency on average for most trucks. the engine will also run hotter, and there will only be one rpm that it will run really well in. this means re-gearing the truck for that specific rpm if you want to get some of your fuel mileage back.

* You will loose the engine brake, or if they put on one of those after-market brake devices, it will really suck and almost be non-existent.

* You will have to have the ecm re-programmed for it if you want it to run right, and any person who knows the programming very well will tell you that you just f$#$ked up by taking it off.

* Good programming/delete DOES NOT AND WILL NOT shorten the lifespan of the VGT turbo. Only a butcher would tell you this. I know lots of people with 800,000 miles or more on their VGT turbos that have had del for years.

It is the same as someone telling you to go shoot yourself in the foot and then run the marathon because handicap people get a head start in the race.

=

Fire your mechanic and run the other way as fast as you can. then go fix your problems correctly. it would be like jumping over a dollar to grab a dime.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
My 2008 ProStar with the 600hp CM-871 is in for an in-frame right now... I shopped shops in my local area with good reputations... One shop I called locally, after explaining my wants, and telling them I have the Rawze Special... The owner of the shop told me I will need to change out my VGT to a non VGT Turbo and install a P D I manifold, ditch the EGR cooler, pull the EGR valve... This conversation ended real quick. Get rid of your mechanic and replace the turbo with a VGT if it is not the actuator. Oh, my VGT Turbo as of now is fine, and I am planning on leaving it on, if it is not broke, I ain't fixing it.
replyreply
Hey ya'll, before we ditch the mechanic I'd like to show him the light, I've been trying to hook him up with Unilevers for his tunes. The guy is really sharp, he diagnosed a couple things without fiddle farting around and saved me hundreds of dollars.

Let's not be so quick to throw a good mechanic away before we try to enlighten him, JMHO.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: 03maxpower
(03-19-2016 )Bulljammer Wrote:  Hey ya'll, before we ditch the mechanic I'd like to show him the light, I've been trying to hook him up with Unilevers for his tunes. The guy is really sharp, he diagnosed a couple things without fiddle farting around and saved me hundreds of dollars.

Let's not be so quick to throw a good mechanic away before we try to enlighten him, JMHO.
I'm glad you would enlighten an honest working guy on better ways to do things. That is what these guys do here. I have seen and met more crooked scandelous mechanics than I have met good ones. Rawze put the truth out there on the web in 2014 for all to learn. I would expect any mechanic worth his salt to do some web browsing on these subjects at least Once a Year and would have found this site within 10 minutes. Many of us here are just Owner Operators and we research more for our one truck, than a "Professional Mechanic" that "cares" for hundreds of trucks each year!

The crooked guys are like parasites, sabotaging trucks to feed their greed.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.