Did egr tune today
10-09-2017, (Subject: Did egr tune today ) 
RE: Did egr tune today
(10-09-2017 )johnnydngrs Wrote:  no problem, glad to hear she's on her way

Answer this if you have another good idea. She called a few hours ago and said her low voltage light came on and she dropped from 14ish to 12. The other day she was pulling a trailer and the trailer abs lit up on the screen, tjen went out. Then came back and finally she dropped the trailer and that was that. Now low voltage.
replyreply
(10-09-2017 )Jamescj212 Wrote:  Answer this if you have another good idea. She called a few hours ago and said her low voltage light came on and she dropped from 14ish to 12. The other day she was pulling a trailer and the trailer abs lit up on the screen, tjen went out. Then came back and finally she dropped the trailer and that was that. Now low voltage.
first i would make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight, also would check the voltage on the alternator, if everything checks out might be your batteries
replyreply
Voltage, been there and done that, could be a few things. I think you will need to tackle this one James, another issue I faced on my ProStar. Start at the battery box, check every cable for integrity. Make sure there is NO copper wiring showing at the connections. Clean connections, make sure they are tight, etc. I put dialectic grease on my cable ends to keep them clean.

Then get under the truck and inspect all of the cabling. Especially at the STARTER. There is a short ground cable up at the starter that goes to the frame rail, check that for exposed copper, lose, damaged, etc. Same with the cable attaching to your starter. If you see any bare copper anywhere, replace that cable as it is more than likely green. Green copper cable will cause all sorts of electrical issues including improper charge and idiot lights to flash. These systems are very finicky, I forget the voltage, around 10.2 volts or somewhere around there and the truck will not run. I had to replace over 100 feet of the cable on my truck. I had one 20 some odd foot cable that was green from end to end with 10 inches of exposed copper up at the starter under the truck. This came from the factory like this.

Alternator also could be bad, check the cables and wiring at the alternator itself. If the volt meter on the truck is spiking, more than likely the alternator, but still inspect all cabling. If that volt meter spikes on your driver, get it into a shop ASAP and get a new alternator on there, as sever damage can occur running it in that state.

Also, check for wires that may be rubbing against something, damaged etc. Check everything for this, rubbing against stuff, chafing, etc. If it is the alternator, there were two different ones that came from the factory. One is a HIGH Voltage unit, the other is your standard 165 amp or there about. Would be a good thing to call the dealer with your vin number to see which one your truck came from the factory with. Also, see if the dealer can send you the build sheet for that particular truck, they have it, this will make life easier when it is time to start replacing other things that will be failing in the near future.

Batteries are in need of replacement, truck stop can remove and bench test.

Those are the most common issues.

The ABS light, could be something in the truck or in the trailer. Mine is on when I pull certain trailers and off with other trailers. I have checked it and have had others inspect. Everyone says it is my tractor. I think it is the trailers I am pulling. Have never been able to get a satisfactory answer on that one.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , JMBT
Yeah man, your alternator could be going out. A good way to check is to test the output voltage with a voltemeter straight at the alternator. If the voltage is the same as what you read on the dash then it very well may be the alternator not putting out enough voltage.
replyreply
My first alternator lived about 700k miles of moderately heavy use of a microwave, fridge, and other things on occasion by the 4kw inverter we running most of the time if that helps anyone to determine the lifespan of one. Actually, I am surprised it lasted that long.

I got a brand new (not reman) bigger 320-amp for $1080 at fleet-pride when I replaced it. It came with nation-wide warranty is why I went with them. My thoughts were if it failed 2,000 miles from where I got it, I could replace it easily enough.

Before we replaced it, we drove the truck for 2 weeks with the bad alternator. We just a simply turned on the APU, as I had a 120-amp alternator installed into it by thermoking back when we purchased it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Just throwing this out there, and I understand his primary filter wasn't full, but we once had an isx that came in for a service and to reseal the fuel module to the block. Well we put everything back together and couldn't get the truck to prime. It had similar symptoms as yours. It turned out the electric lift pump was weak and not out putting the correct pressure. The truck was fine if the system stayed primed, but once we did the service and removed the fuel module it couldn't give the fuel system enough pressure. That was a fun find on a friday afternoon.
replyreply
By the way everyone, it is about 750k miles on the unit as well and ae far ae i knoe iys never been removed
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.