Morning engine warmup??
10-09-2017, (Subject: Morning engine warmup?? ) 
Morning engine warmup??
Just a quick question: How long do you all warm up your truck of a morning before driving? Assuming the truck has been off all night and cooled down to ambient temp?
I generally bring the oil temp up to about 130 degrees before moving. Just got to wondering if I am adding extra idle time for nothing? Thanks

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
RE: Morning engine warmup??
I warm mine up to 150 or so before I start to go for the day.
I am very easy on the pedal until I get to operating temps, if I'm in the mountains, real heavy, or going to have a good pull right out of the parking lot, I'll try warm it to operating before I go.
This may be excessive, but a little extra idle time is way cheaper than scoring a liner or cracking a head or piston any day of the week, and twice on weekends...

I just cringe when I see some company goober fire it up, build air, stuff 'er in gear, and pull out like she's at 180*

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock , JMBT
He'll what about the goobers, that don't even get out and do a pre trip, or that matter came in and parked right after me and no post.

User's Signature: "KW is my choice of trucks"
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
(opinion only here) - Unless it is below freezing outside by a lot, on a low mileage, healthy engine, I don't think it matters a whole lot unless you are going to put it under full operating load right away. On an older engine with worn down components and a lot of play in them,.. It may make something let go or cause an issue?.

Some swear it does not matters, and others say it does. -- All I know is that I don't push my fuel pedal by much until its at full operating temp. I have seen guys slam their truck fuel pedal to the floor, engine still cold as ice and throw crossheads out from under the rockers before. It even happened to me once when test driving someone else truck that wasn't fully warmed up. I knew what it was right away and played it up a bit, but the guy who owned the truck thought the engine had blew up!. It was blasting black smoke real bad and would barely run.

- Needless to say, I would not wish something like that onto anyone, so I won't load test a truck that is not fully warmed up any more. It only took once for me to learned that lesson. If that crosshead had jumped down and wedged under the cam, it would have been all over.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock , JMBT , Hammerhead
I'm bat shi#t crazy when it comes to warming up my engine's, if I ever seen one of my drivers start the truck and drive away within a minute.... he'd be driving home.

I don't care if it is 100 degrees out, I let my engine warm up a good 15 minutes while I get a coffee. I do it with my personal vehicles too, won't operate one until it's showing operating temp... forget about a big rig hauling stupid heavy weights lol

I've got to reasoning or scienece/data to back up why I do what I do.... just always done it and when people ask, I say "it's called operating temp for a reason"

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , JMBT , scottydogtruck , AnOldDog
(10-09-2017 )Hammerhead Wrote:  I just cringe when I see some company goober fire it up, build air, stuff 'er in gear, and pull out like she's at 180*

I had an opposite experience a couple of weeks ago. I had pulled over at the top of a short but steep hill east of Prince George. Hill was just under a mile long but about 1/2 of it is 8% and I was heavy. Did a cool down until my manifold was down to 300 degrees (about 6 or 7 minutes) and just sat there doing nothing for a bit. Along comes a car carrier and stops behind me with a full load of cars. Before i completed thinking the sentence "I wonder how long he'll cool down" he had switched off. I always find it amazing how much more abuse a company truck can take over an O/O truck.

User's Signature: Too young to quit........Too old to change.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead , JMBT , Rawze , Waterloo
I'm all for bumping the idle up while I kick the tyres and check the lights then driving it easy til the temps come up, but letting it idle until it warms up is just glazing your cylinders.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT , adam isx
(10-09-2017 )kryten Wrote:  
(10-09-2017 )Hammerhead Wrote:  I just cringe when I see some company goober fire it up, build air, stuff 'er in gear, and pull out like she's at 180*

I had an opposite experience a couple of weeks ago. I had pulled over at the top of a short but steep hill east of Prince George. Hill was just under a mile long but about 1/2 of it is 8% and I was heavy. Did a cool down until my manifold was down to 300 degrees (about 6 or 7 minutes) and just sat there doing nothing for a bit. Along comes a car carrier and stops behind me with a full load of cars. Before i completed thinking the sentence "I wonder how long he'll cool down" he had switched off. I always find it amazing how much more abuse a company truck can take over an O/O truck.
On the Mass Pike going west of Springfield there's a 6 mile uphill grade and on top of that is a service plaza which I decided I needed fuel here, barely get out of the truck and the attendant is screaming "turn your truck off" I'm thinking she's out of her friggin mind.. I told her unless you're buying me a new motor I'm not shutting it off until it cools down because pulling 77k up the hill @55 you bet this thing is hot hot hot! Once it did drop back down, I did shut it down I'm not gonna jump through legal hoops if the motor cooks itself. Not if I don't have too!
replyreply
Had a boss a few years ago that insisted Cat recommended Oil temp be at least 150* before using the engine brake. Since it was only a few miles from my house before the Jake came in handy, I'd let it run for 30-40 mins. It was his fuel so didn't matter to me how long it ran, but now I find that I still let my 870 warm up for 20-30 mins, at about 800 rpm, which gives me time for breakfast, or shower, or extra cup of coffee...
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.