Morning engine warmup??
10-10-2017, (Subject: Morning engine warmup?? ) 
RE: Morning engine warmup??
(10-09-2017 )kryten Wrote:  I had an opposite experience a couple of weeks ago. I had pulled over at the top of a short but steep hill east of Prince George. Hill was just under a mile long but about 1/2 of it is 8% and I was heavy. Did a cool down until my manifold was down to 300 degrees (about 6 or 7 minutes) and just sat there doing nothing for a bit. Along comes a car carrier and stops behind me with a full load of cars. Before i completed thinking the sentence "I wonder how long he'll cool down" he had switched off. I always find it amazing how much more abuse a company truck can take over an O/O truck.

I shake my head at that shi#t too.
Agreed, bizarre how company trucks get the crap abused out of 'em and they keep right on tickin...
If I tried that with mine, it would probably blow up next week.
Warmin up and coolin down is much cheaper. It's worked for me so far, so why change it now?

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT , Waterloo
Speaking of company trucks and abuse.....I have one idling beside me right now as we speak. It’s a beautiful crisp clear night in northern Washington, and this f$@kstick is idling his company’s truck at, at least 1500 rpm’s, fan just blasting away every minute or so.
Since it is a company truck I don’t even feel bad about hoping it blows a rod through the block tonight at some point and shuts the hell off so I might get a bit of rest!!! There seriously needs to be separate parking areas in truckstops for company drivers who want to idle all night when it is beautiful weather out.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Ragindirt
Depending on the time of year and outdoor temps... First, I am normally empty when I shut the truck down, I am more anal about letting it cool off than warming. Cooling her down, I like to get her down below 200* on the oil temp. Mornings, I let her idle, bump it up to around 1000 - 1100 rpm get my coffee, and then roll. Take it easy on the pedal and within a few miles we are up to operating temps.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
A long time ago, several years in fact, I spoke with a technical representative from Holset. This is what I learned about turbochargers in general ...

The guy said that the number one cause of failures back then was carbonized bearings in the turbo. Of course, the VGT's were relatively new then, but it is still important information ...

As far as shutdown goes,.. a pyro on the exhaust manifold to measure the manifold and turbo temps is best. Anything below 400 degrees on the manifold temp is safe to shut down the engine. Otherwise, you will cook the oil in the turbocharger once the oil and coolant stop flowing. This is called "carbonizing the turbo bearing" and is not a good thing.

Now just think about that guy who climbs that hill at full engine load then gets to the top only to shut off his truck at the truck stop. -- What a shame.

I also found out that the VGT's (and non-VG's I think) can withstand 1360 degrees for 3 minute periods without worrying about heat xfer into the face and mechanisms at lower flow rates. At higher flow rates, it can withstand it for longer periods. It comes down to the amount of absorbed heat overall and equated to roughly about 900 - 950 degrees on the outer casing before having to worry about turbocharger temperatures. Small turbo with lots of restriction = more absorbed heat. Bigger turbo with better flow where the heat can move past it more easily = less absorbed heat. Also, exterior cooling helps too, like forced air from an engine fan.

Some call me a crack-pot, but it was the very next week, I installed a pyro gauge and placed the probe onto the outside of the manifold instead of putting it inside it. I have lived by the rule of shutting off the truck when the turbo is below 400 degrees F. and not letting it get above 950. -- First turbo lasted 580k miles and dies because of stupidity on my part. I shut truck off when turbo was at 900+ degrees (280k miles on the turbo), not thinking, and it started acting up after that. It was never the same after i did that to it and it slowly got worse. It lived all the way to 580k and got real bad, so I replaced it.

Second turbo is still on the truck and has now 610k miles and still going strong. -- Just to add to this,.. the circuit board that sits a top of the thing inside the turbo actuator is electronic. Solder holding the components to the board melts sometimes at as low a temp as 450 degrees, and certainly at 500+ degrees. Coolant flow and outside airflow is the only thing keeping it from getting too hot -- Just an observation.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , JMBT , AnOldDog , Toolguy
I use one of these. https://www.iandmelectric.com/products/w...er-12-volt ,in my truck. Run it all year. Engine is between 100 and 135 degrees when I start it. Burns very little fuel. May not have purchased it but I didn't have any place to plug in during winter months. Got mine in a kit which includes the cab heater. Works awesome
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT , Rawze , Roysbigtoys , Toolguy

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.