Disappearing Coolant
11-28-2018, (Subject: Disappearing Coolant ) 
RE: Disappearing Coolant
(03-25-2016 )DrivingZiggy Wrote:  
(03-25-2016 )snailexpress Wrote:  
(03-25-2016 )DrivingZiggy Wrote:  Dang! This is a hard job for somebody like me. Being a Volvo doesn't help things. I still haven't managed to get the EGR off. Shucks, I haven't even got the heat shield off yet! I got the 3 bolts out, but it still didn't want to come out. So I watched Rawze's vids again and discovered that there's a 4th bolt! Dammit! Then I begin the fight to get the EGR off.

I've been looking for the video where Rawze shows that the replacement actuator isn't the same shape as the original. But I can't find it! Can somebody help with that?
First time is always first.
1. Disconnect all wires from battery. It's very important!!!!. EGR will short them on the starter if you don"t.
2. Remove this freaking splash cover. There is two bolts to the rear, one bolt to the frame, two bolts holding to hood support and remove hood release cable.
3. Remove ventury pipe, EGR to intake pipe.
4. Remove heat shield from EGR
5 Unbolt EGR and rock it from side to side simultaneously pull it out toward vehicle front.
EGR is sitting in kinda rubber seal. Some effort required. Once EGR is free slide it little bit down on the starter and turn it around and pull outside.
Side fairing should be removed.
all bolts are metric.
Number 4 is where I'm having my problem. I finally got to where I can see the bolt, but I can't get on it. I've tried using all of my extensions with a universal holding the socket, but I can't get it. I went under the truck and couldn't even see it because of the starter. This is getting really frustrating! I just texted my nephew to see if he can come and help.
Take the inside engine cover shroud out and you will have easy access to EGR and you will have easy access to back of EGR cooler as well if you ever need to do look for leaks.

User's Signature: VOLVO VNL 780 Cummins 450HP CM871 W/13 Spd
replyreply
(03-18-2016 )snailexpress Wrote:  Volvo is famous to leak coolant from bunk heater. Hard to see it because lot of 5hit in around. coolant will leak under floor mat and never noticed. The fix is easy replace O-rings and tight bolt. If we are talking about small leak.

I don't now how new it is but have seen many newer ones get a very small leak left top of radiator.
it took me 2 weeks to fiend mine. the bunk would be my first SMELL TEST.

User's Signature: Just my 2 cents + -
replyreply
(03-21-2016 )DrivingZiggy Wrote:  Well, I was under the truck today. So I looked for a leak at the bunk. Nope. So I went inside and looked under the bunk. Couldn't see anything, but I sure could smell it.

And I can't even find a radiator cap! Would I be pressurizing through the reservoir??? That doesn't seem right.

But the truck has started throwing codes. Volvo couldn't tell me exactly what it was, but were able to narrow it down to the EGR. So I guess I'll be giving the truck the RAWZE treatment when I get back from Arkansas. Is there a thread with the step-by-step or do I just have to watch the videos over and over until I get it?
you have to use your nose real well on the bunk one (if you don't smell it its proble not thier

User's Signature: Just my 2 cents + -
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.