653 Detroit
10-10-2017, (Subject: 653 Detroit ) 
653 Detroit
Well I know this is way out to left field ,lol
Is there any old school Detroit guys out there ?
I bought a old skidder with a 653 in her ...
It sat for I don't know how many years . We threw a battery in it and it fried right up , no ether and in about 5 secs ..... Here's where it starts to get interesting...
It would run " no tach " around 1500 at a idle . So I used the go pedal and the fuel shut off to control the rpm and loaded a few extra things and the skidder .
Got the skidder home , started to go though it , just simple stuff. Wachted a YouTube video on the governed and found the low idie adj . So I set the rack and backed down the idie and it ran like a dream . I pushed out some crap in a pen . It felt like it was staving for fuel . So I was busy anyway and shut it down .
Well today I grased the whole thing , changed hyd fliud took the kids for a ride ,let Her warm up . It was running real good so I decided to play with it a little bit . I went a 1/2 mile down the road , in high gear . It run like a champ . I slowed down to go into my pasture , though a ditch and fine ..... Then it was running wide open with no thottle Input , I grabed the shutoff and ideled it down and it stalled . The. It would not start , almost like no fuel , then Wide open . This happened a few times so I took it home and shut it off .
I am thinking this is all in the governer, but I know nothing about them . So if anyone has played with these PLEASE help .
Thanks

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

User's Signature: The missing link
replyreply
10-11-2017, (Subject: 653 Detroit ) 
RE: 653 Detroit
is it a 6 53 or 4 53? Id pull the valve cover off and make sure there is not sticking injectors. Have someone turn the engine over and make sure all come up. Then look over the rack. I take vise grips and clamp down on the round part and open and close it see if it has any drag on it. these are real simple engines was the first ones I ever worked on when I was 13 years old...Our skidder had 4-53 in them
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT , hhow55 , the missing link
It's a 6-53 , thank you I will try that

replyreply
So you were right the middle injector on the drivers side is stuck , if I tap lightly I can move the rack , but it won't move freely . I know there is videos on this . But I highly respect your opinion. Should I just replace the bad Injector or try to free it up .it is a n50 .
Do I have to pull the rocker to free it up . I don't have the right tool to set them , and where is the timing marks on this thing I greatly appreciate your time and expertise.

replyreply
TBH I have taken marvel mystery oil and sprayed it and let it soak in..then rotate the engine til the rocker arm is up with no pressure on injector and try and tap it up or take a screw driver and pry up on it... Try and twist it to....
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , the missing link

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.